Greencard holder spousal sponsorship

Lilly_254

hi everyone, I am hoping for some advice. I am a Canadian citizen residing in Canada. My husband is a green card holder who filed for US spousal sponsorship in Oct 2023 (F2A category). Can you please answer the following:

(1) What is the realistic processing timeline, and how soon will I be able to move to US? (my husband and I were initially provided very inaccurate information by an immigration consultant).
(2) Once i-130 is approved, can I move to US and wait for visa availability there? or do I still have to wait till visa is available?
(3) Because US immigration wait times are brutal, we are now even considering to apply for Canadian spousal sponsorship. Will that create any issues with US sponsorship? It really does not matter to us where we live. The decision to apply for US one was based on ensuring that he will retain his greencard, therefore, US sponsorship was more appealing. We would like to keep the US application in case it gets processed sooner than the Canadian one (at the moment Canada spousal application processing takes about 10 months).

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

1. I don't really know, but maybe in a year?
2. You can't "move" to the US until you get your immigrant visa. You can visit the US (if they let you in).
3. Shouldn't affect it.

By the way, did you guys marry before or after he got his green card, and what category did he immigrate in?

The processing time is less important than when a visa is available, as you cannot move to the US until then. Visas for F2A are currently only available for petitions filed before November 2021. While progress is uncertain, it seems likely that it will be at least a couple of years before a visa is available for your priority date.

When does your husband become eligible for naturalization?

1. I don't really know, but maybe in a year?
2. You can't "move" to the US until you get your immigrant visa. You can visit the US (if they let you in).
3. Shouldn't affect it.

By the way, did you guys marry before or after he got his green card, and what category did he immigrate in?
Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, we are being told a 3+ year processing time. We got married after he got his green card. He was selected for 2023 DV lottery visa.

The processing time is less important than when a visa is available, as you cannot move to the US until then. Visas for F2A are currently only available for petitions filed before November 2021. While progress is uncertain, it seems likely that it will be at least a couple of years before a visa is available for your priority date.

When does your husband become eligible for naturalization?
Thank you for the reply. He moved to the US in Sep 2023, so he still has 4+ years to go till naturalization.