Green Card and Canada work permit

jemilianl

Registered Users (C)
hi, everyone, I have GC and live in US now, my wife is studying in Canada now, can I get a job in canada without applying the work permit? Can I move to Canada now since she is studying in Canada? :confused: My skill is in in NOC level Do I also need the Social Insurance Number? How can I still keep my GC status while I am in canada? Anyone suggestion will help! Thank you so much. I need to be with my wife and she really need me there, I will move even though I don't have job offer. Please help!

hey..i am in the same situation

let me know if you know anybody who can answer our questions.
I ma going to canada in march and i have US GC

I have GC and live in US now, my wife is studying in Canada now, can I get a job in canada without applying the work permit?

- You have to have a job offer before you apply for a work permit.

Can I move to Canada now since she is studying in Canada?

- No. You can visit without a visa (since you have a GC) but you cannot move permanently unless you have cdn immigrant visa.

Do I also need the Social Insurance Number?

- If you get a job offer and then the work permit, you will need a SIN. Otherwise you don't (you will never even get one if you are just visiting)

How can I still keep my GC status while I am in canada?
- You will lose your GC if you leave the US for 1 year. You can keep it alive by visiting your wife for a short period and then going back.