Green Card 2012/Reentry Permit Visa/Girlfriend without Green Card. URGENT

Franck91

Hi Everyone,

I'm writing to you guys as I need some understanding and advice regarding my situation.

I'm French and live in Australia. I have been through the DV Lottery 2012 and my US Immigrant Visa has been issued! I'm really happy about that as living in New York has always been in my mind since I was young.

Therefore, I have to enter the US before the 23rd January to activate the Green Card. However, I would like to stay at least 1 more year in Australia before moving to the US for work purposes and because I need more time to organize that move.

I will definitely go to Los Angeles to activate the Green Card but I need to find a way to be able to go back to Australia and come back to the US without having the physical Green Card. I would like to stay just 1/2 weeks in Los Angeles.

Questions:

1/Can I stay in Los Angeles for just 1/2 weeks in order to activate the Green Card and apply for a Reentry Permit Visa and go back to Australia?

2/Do I need to get the physical Green Card to be able to apply for a Reentry Permit Visa?

3/If so, will they accept my Reentry Permit Visa request?

What would be the best solution for me to activate the Green Card, go back to Australia for 1 year and come back to the US?

Besides, unfortunately my Australian girlfriend hasn't been selected for the DV Lottery which is a shame, but we are going to try to live together in New York anyway. I understand she will have to find a company that accepts to sponsor her through an E3 Visa. Has anyone been through this? Having a boyfriend/girlfriend that doesn't have a Green Card but you have managed to live together?

I would be so grateful for your precious advice as I want to be able to go through all this without having any issues.

Thank you so much :)

1. No

2. Not a requirement, but yes because of the time it takes

3. NO

There is no solution to activating the green card in your case. The green card is not a credit card. The green card is meant for those who plan to make the USA their home within six months of the date it was issued. There is no way you can stay in Los Angeles for 1/2 a week and get your green card AND apply and obtain a Reentry permit. USCIS is not a fast food restaurant where you get you food in five minutes

Your girlfriends issue is independent of yours. You are not married thus it has no bearing.

Give up the green card since it does not appear you plan to abide by the intentions for which it is meant.

Cheers!