GreatGuru Pls Help : Option of H2B

youngsencation

Great Guru ,

I am currently on h4 visa , i came usa in march 2005 . My h1b premium petion has been rejected by USCIS .As the employer is very keen to hire me they have expressed desire to hire me on " H2B" . I have folliwng question in that regard . I am a software engineer with bachelor's degree from India.

1. I am eligible for h2b as i am currently on h4.?

2. How long i can work on H2B ?

3.What can be earliest start date for employment ?

4. Is there any quota for H2B similar to H1B , when its likely to be finished .

5.Can the same employer hire me on H1B once the quota becomes available on 1st oct 2006 ( application on 1st april )

6. If my employer ( one who is willing to do H2B ) decides to fire me , can i go back/change my status to H4 ?How much cost is involved in going from H2B to H4.

7. Can i resign the job if i dont like it and go back on h4 ? Am i eligible for H1B next year in that case

8. How much money is required to do H2B ?

Thanks greatguru please help me .

Youngsencation

youngsencation said:
Great Guru ,

I am currently on h4 visa , i came usa in march 2005 . My h1b premium petion has been rejected by USCIS .As the employer is very keen to hire me they have expressed desire to hire me on " H2B" . I have folliwng question in that regard . I am a software engineer with bachelor's degree from India.

1. I am eligible for h2b as i am currently on h4.?

***********You can try, but keep in mind that the most important factor as far as H-2B's are concerned, is to prove the temporariness of this position, in other words the employer must not have an ongoing need for this position.

2. How long i can work on H2B ?

**********H-2B's cannot be issued for more than 364 days at a time. It is possible, but very difficult to apply for extensions beyond this period.

3.What can be earliest start date for employment ?

**********The quota is still available, and Dept. of Labor will accept applications 120 days prior to the intended date of employment. You can apply right away and don't have to wait.

4. Is there any quota for H2B similar to H1B , when its likely to be finished .

5.Can the same employer hire me on H1B once the quota becomes available on 1st oct 2006 ( application on 1st april )

********This will be very difficult, because then the employer proves that he has an ongoing need for this position.

6. If my employer ( one who is willing to do H2B ) decides to fire me , can i go back/change my status to H4 ?How much cost is involved in going from H2B to H4.

*********Yes, it is possible. The fee payable to Dept. of Homeland Security is $195.

7. Can i resign the job if i dont like it and go back on h4 ? Am i eligible for H1B next year in that case

8. How much money is required to do H2B ?

Thanks greatguru please help me .

Youngsencation

One more question

GreatGuru and Anna,

Thanks for all the answers

just one more question.

As you have said it is very diifcult for a employer to hire me on H1B once he hites me on H2B.Do i have option of working for a another employer on H1B once quota become available .

In other words,
Being on H2B, do i qualify for H1B for another employer

Thanks,