Grand theft - Shoplifting

crazyglue

Dear forum members,

my friend was arrested for shoplifting merchandise from a store for more than $300. According to the law of state, the crime qualifies as a Grand Theft punishable up to 5 years in prison. His status is political asylum granted less than year ago.

What he should do?
Is this deportable crime?

I appreciate any help

your friend need to hire criminal attorney and establish connection with immigration lawyer.
before he plead for anything ...he need advice from his criminal lawyer based on another advice from immigration lawyer.
good luck.

crazyglue said:
Dear forum members,

my friend was arrested for shoplifting merchandise from a store for more than $300. According to the law of state, the crime qualifies as a Grand Theft punishable up to 5 years in prison. His status is political asylum granted less than year ago.

What he should do?

I appreciate any help

Looks like he is greatful for his Amnesty.

At 300$, he probably needs both a good criminal lawyer and an immigration lawyer aware of criminal consequences to immigration.

To qualify for deportation, the crime must be punishable by a max of more than 1 year and the actual punishment received must be less than 6 months. Additionally, the crime must not be that of "moral turpitude", which means that it should not be intentional or with intend to cause harm. There is a petty offence exception for first timers in small crimes.

crazyglue said:
Dear forum members,

What he should do?

I appreciate any help

They should DEPORT people like that. Its such as shame that someone will shoplift and then worry about their status. If I was USCIS, I would put them on the next flight back to where they came from.

Agree people make mistakes but shoplifting is not a mistake.

The original story qualifies as "things that make you go :eek:

Out of curiousity what are the circumstances of someone -especially an Asylee going that route? What did he shoplift for $300 it can't be groceries for that amount... was it a necessity item? I can't imagine what it could be.

crazyglue said:
Dear forum members,
my friend was arrested for shoplifting merchandise from a store for more than $300. According to the law of state, the crime qualifies as a Grand Theft punishable up to 5 years in prison. His status is political asylum granted less than year ago. What he should do? Is this deportable crime?

In my opinion, the USCIS shoul deport him and everybody who asks for asylum or immigrate sto US elsehow should be deported if he/she commits a crime.

Your friend should go and do his shoplifting buisness in his/her country, that's my advice do him/her.

wanttobefree said:
In my opinion, the USCIS shoul deport him and everybody who asks for asylum or immigrate sto US elsehow should be deported if he/she commits a crime.

Your friend should go and do his shoplifting buisness in his/her country, that's my advice do him/her.

Please dont assume that the person is guilty.

I was once shopping in target. Then my spouse calls me on cell from a different city because she locked herself out right in front of one entrance of one of the busiest airports in the country. She was almost crying. I had an expensive electronic item in my hand and without thinking I put it in my jacket pocket and started walking out for better signal strength on cell. Luckily, I realized in the last moment that I put something in my pocket.

It is really important to understand under what circumstances the crime was committed. And the detail of the crime- what did he/she steal. There are shoplifters, murders in the US also. Doesn't mean that because someone comes to a new country they stop being a human being. Yes maybe it is in his nature? Maybe someone happened to him in his life back at home that brings that persona. Maybe it has some connection to his asylum- state of mind... You really never know...

Hey do a check on this site for arrest, theft and go through the posts. I read through a few... something to do with the sequence of do the time then get deported... But again people comment on the type of crime... number of years

Hi Crazyglue
Grand Theft Is Not In The Grounds Of Agravated Felony, Therefore Your Friend Will Be Fine (no Doubt On That).
However, He Should Not Lie About It When He Files For His I-485, Because The Biometrics Will Show It Anyway On His Alien Profile.
What He Should Do Also To Make Things Smoother Is, To Get A Criminal Lawyer About $300 To $500 For The Fee To Expunge The File From The County Court.
Once The Case Is Expunged, He Will Get A Release Form From The Court Through His Laweyer. He'll Attach It To The I-485, And He Will Be More Than Fine.

Below Are Some Categories Of Crimes That Could Make You Inadmissible:there Is No Waiver For That, Straight Denial And Deportation.
Rape
Gang Member
Drug Trafficking
Having Sex With Miner
Haboring Terrorism
National Threat To Us
Pimping (harboring Prostutition)
Murder.

Your Friend Will Be Fine.

jubilee said:
you absolutely wrong for that...since he came ask for advice just give him a break.
remember no body have right to call for somebody else deportation ...
be reasonable wantmygcnow ..long we still human ..we do mistakes.
let me tell you something :real bad people do not steal or got caught stealing $300 merchandise...believe me body the do worst than that and they may never be caught.
this guy learn his lesson and he need fresh start and he can do it.

I didn't call for somebody's deportation. I just said my opinion and now I repeat (with modification) - if he/dhe is guilty in stealing even $300 he should be deported. That's my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
crazyglue said:
Dear forum members,

What he should do?

I appreciate any help
He should find good criminal attorney and also consult good immigration attorney .immigration will be waiting for him right next to courtroomdoor.inorder to grant him deportation prceeding.dont worry good criminal lawyer will help him out. if he'll plead guilty he might be transfered form US prison backhome . i know a guy who came as a student to US.and he raped girl. he was sentenced for 5yrs . and he wasnt transfered .normally he will be in US prison and will be deported home.I hope he will find criminal attorney .

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear members,

I should note on my first posting to do not discuss moral issues of this problem, but give only advice that might help. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, but sometimes it's better to keep the opinion or judgment of others acts in private.

Please, don't tell me who should be deported or not, and in particular when you don't know what was circumstances or motivations behind the crime. You are not judge, or God. The US Justice System is capable to make that decision. Everyone made mistakes.

What would you do in this situation? Should I tell my friend that I don't want to know him anymore because he is theft? Things happen, that was his call and he will get punished for that.

Anyway, thank you all for valuable advice.
God bless you and the United States of America.

I don't think so....

Themen,
In your list for deportable crime, you have included "having sex with a miner". Just because someone works in a mine doesn't mean no one should have sex with him/her ???? :cool:
That is so not true buddy, some miners are pretty sexy :) :)

Punjabi_Munda said:
Themen,
In your list for deportable crime, you have included "having sex with a miner". Just because someone works in a mine doesn't mean no one should have sex with him/her ???? :cool:

:D

For Minks & P-munda
Mispell Minor Instead Of Miner
Minor: Under Age - 0 To 17 Years Old.
I Would Not Say That, That Would Irrational.
Sorry For The Misunderstanding, I Meant Minor.
Peace

Here, the man comes to get some constructive advice . Some people says things like "deporting" and stuff like that. This dosen't help at all. Don't step on a man who is already down.

Punjabi_Munda said:
Themen,

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! You're funny, I beleive he meant to say a minor.

Some miners are damn pretty, that's for sure...

crazyglue said:
Dear members,

I should note on my first posting to do not discuss moral issues of this problem, but give only advice that might help. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, but sometimes it's better to keep the opinion or judgment of others acts in private.

Please, don't tell me who should be deported or not, and in particular when you don't know what was circumstances or motivations behind the crime. You are not judge, or God. The US Justice System is capable to make that decision. Everyone made mistakes.

What would you do in this situation? Should I tell my friend that I don't want to know him anymore because he is theft? Things happen, that was his call and he will get punished for that.

Anyway, thank you all for valuable advice.
God bless you and the United States of America.

You are absolutely right CG...I dont know why people are just ready to jump on others and crucify them..!! Yes USCIS is quite capable of making the right decision. I swear, some people would think they are carrying USCIS and the USA on their shoulders..!!

free100 said:
You are absolutely right CG...I dont know why people are just ready to jump on others and crucify them..!! Yes USCIS is quite capable of making the right decision. I swear, some people would think they are carrying USCIS and the USA on their shoulders..!!

True!!

The way society thinks is that if you are charged, then you must be guilty

very unfortunate, but that's what happens