got married today. need advice

doduhdew

hi.

i'm a u.s. citizen by neutralization and my wife entered the country legally with b1/b2 visa about two years ago but she became "out of status" when her visa expired.

i have couple of questions to ask.

i've browsed through the web and found that i need to file the below forms.

I-130 PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE $190.00
G-325A BIOGRAPHIC INFORMATION NO FEE
I-485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE $325.00
I-864 AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT NO FEE
I-765 PERMISSION FOR WORK AUTHORIZATION $180.00
I-693 MEDICAL EXAMINATION RESULTS NO FEE

my questions are:

1) when i submit a proof of my citizenship, do i send the original certificate of the citizenship or a photocopy?

2) do i submit all forms at the same time or do i have to file them in particular orders?

3) i live in california and dmv requires a social security number for a driver's license. how do i apply for the social security card? do i apply after we get the temporary green card or after we get the work permit?

4) should i hire a lawyer? (the cheapest i found asked $2000 yuk!)

your valuable input will be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

doduhdew said:
hi.

i'm a u.s. citizen by neutralization and my wife entered the country legally with b1/b2 visa about two years ago but she became "out of status" when her visa expired.

i have couple of questions to ask.

i've browsed through the web and found that i need to file the below forms.

I-130 PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE $190.00
G-325A BIOGRAPHIC INFORMATION NO FEE
I-485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE $325.00
I-864 AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT NO FEE
I-765 PERMISSION FOR WORK AUTHORIZATION $180.00
I-693 MEDICAL EXAMINATION RESULTS NO FEE

my questions are:

1) when i submit a proof of my citizenship, do i send the original certificate of the citizenship or a photocopy?

Photocopy. Never send in your original, they won't return it to you if the original one is the only one you provide them.

2) do i submit all forms at the same time or do i have to file them in particular orders?

I'd suggest you sending them at the same time but separating them using ACCO fasteners (which is recommended by USCIS as mentioned on their official website).

3) i live in california and dmv requires a social security number for a driver's license. how do i apply for the social security card? do i apply after we get the temporary green card or after we get the work permit?

You said you're US citizen but you don't have a social security number?

4) should i hire a lawyer? (the cheapest i found asked $2000 yuk!)

Not necessarily.

your valuable input will be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

He got married yesterday. I didn't have fancy party for my wedding (just civil ceremony) but we went for lunch and then met our friends and spent evening with them. Afterwards, we had our special night lol... Why would you to to immigration or any other forum on your wedding day :confused:.
I may be wrong but it all smells bad to me.

Never send originals of documents (wait until requested)

You must file all forms at the same time ( spouse in already in US)

U apply for Social Security Card after you receive EAD. Is there a reason you don't already have one? It seems like you should at this juncture. (just wondering. don't take it personal)

You don't really need a lawyer unless you have a complicated situation, so if everything is legit and in order, you can research and find out everything for yourself.

Your wife overstay is a question, but from what I was advised, the marriage cures that, but there is a penalty for if overstay is over 180 days (6 months). You might want to research that.! However, you have the right to file, just like anyone else.

Check out these websites:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not a fraud

because of my wife's status we've decided to have a ceremony at county clerk's office and process the paperwork first. we're gonna have a wedding ceremony on 2/3/06 at my church. please don't post anything if you think it's a fraud. and please don't ruin my feelings by saying my marriage is a fraud. dumb@ss.

I wouldn't let it upset me. You can't control other people's thought. Enjoy your wedding day and when you are ready, look up the information I gave you.
WISHING YOU THE BEST OF THIS SPECIAL DAY. :)

SAVE YOUR STRENGTH FOR THE REST OF THIS FRUSTRATING JOURNEY!! BELIEVE ME, I KNOW THE DRILL! :eek:

Ok So Your Answer Is As I Stated. After She Receives Ead, U Take It Along With Visa, Passport To The Social Security Office To Request For Social Security Card. How Fast You Get It Depends On When The Social Security Office Receives The Information From Uscis.