got I-EAD at LA

sks2003

Registered Users (C)
Today I got Interim EAD at LA office. But, it was NOT an easy for me to get it and the saga went on for 2 consecutive days.......

Here is the saga.....

I first went on yesterday morning at 5.30 AM and joined the line about 5.50 AM (already there were 500 to 600 people ahead of me despite of bad weather yesterday morning) and was able to get into the building at 10.30 AM. Got the number and waited for another 3 hours for my number to be called. The first question they asked was "is it employement based or family based?" and I replied it is "employement based", then they asked for my I-140 approval notice. Incidentally, My attorney never sent me I-140 approval and did not tell anything about I-140 approval notice for getting I-EAD (as I don't know anything and blindly believe my attorney). However, I could manage to get the copy of my approved I-140 petition (thru fax). I took copy of I-765 receipt notice, but after I submitted the copy of I-140 approval notice, they insisted (more of a demanding) that they need *ORIGINAL* I-765 receipt notice and not the copy! No matter, how much I pleaded them, they did not listen and just ask me to bring the original and come back again.

So, I collected all original reciept notices, including original I-140 approval notice from my attorney yesterday evening and went back to INS office this morning at 3.30 AM (believe it or not? there were already 400 people ahead of me at 4.00 AM). Managed to enter into the building at about 7.30 AM and got the number. Then they called my number at 2.00 PM (almost 7 hours waiting inside...) and gave I-EAD without saying any word. But, Please make a NOTE that: they keep your ORIGINAL I-765 receipt notice. So, before you go, please make a copy of it, if you feel you may need it again!?

I urge all the people on this board "try to avoid as much as possible to go to INS office (at least in LA, b'coz I don't know how bad or good other offices in CA) to get I-EAD! If you ever needs to go, then take ORIGINAL I-765 receipt notice, I-140 approval notice (for employement based, I think copy will be enough, but having original is not harmful) and I-485 receipt notice.

So, don't make any assumptions like copy of I-765 receipt notice is enough or bla...bla.... I would say for sure that in LA office, they specifically asking for ORIGINAL I-765 receipt notice!

Good luck guys and hope my experience would help others who will be going to LA INS office for getting I-EAD

Originally posted by sks2003
Please make a NOTE that: they keep your ORIGINAL I-765 receipt notice. So, before you go, please make a copy of it, if you feel you may need it again!?

I just could not imagine what if you will need ORIGINAL once again for one more iEAD??? Will they keep it till that time and be able to find it for you? Or will they tell you something like that: "In no circumstances you should not have given your original document, so it's your problem now" ???
Hope you will not need to take iEADs anymore.

Strange, really Strange.

I got my iEAD at Reno, they not only returned my I-765 Receipt Notice but also specifically told me keep it till I get my actual EAD.
She never even talked about I-140.

Since its a small town, I got the iEAD during my lunch time within 30 mins.

Sorry about your case. I wish you get your 485 approved with out any delay as compensation for all the trouble you have gone through

-junior

No need for another I-EAD

I don't think we can get another I-EAD, if we already got one!? I don't know, I may be wrong. But, What I could think is, if we get Interim EAD, and don't get EAD approval until the I-EAD expires, then just renew the I-EAD. I think to renew I-EAD, they don't need the I-765 receipt notice? Again, this is my guess only. Anyway, I could not have enough time to ask them why they keep my ORIGINAL I-765 receipt notice, as it was already 2.30 PM and I have to rush for getting photographed and figer pinted before 3.00 PM (at that moment, my mind was filled up with saving another "holy" trip to the office!). But, when I inquired others, they also said that their ORIGINAL receipt notices have been kept with their application ( I mean, with INS)!!! So, probably, I guess this may be the policy at LA dist. INS office, who knows what policies they came up with every day?!!

Junior,

Thanks for your wishes!

As I said, the rules and regulations may be different from one district office to the other. I just want to give latest clear picture and info. about LA dist. INS office. As junior said, may be the case in RENO has entirely different and people there may be more liberal than LA office folks!?? :(

sks2003,
sorry about what you had to go through, sounds bizzare, I am not sure which other INS offices ask you to submit the ORIGINAL.

I also know cases where the INS officer wanted a copy of the marriage ceritificate for issuing a iEAD to the spouse.

my iEAD

Sorry to hear your story. I got mine in Santa Ana office 10 days
ago. Except waiting for long time(5-6 hours), the officer only
took a look at your EAD notice and returned it to me.
I brought everything(I140, I485 notice, previous EAD...).
She said, EAD should be approved in 90 days. I told
her that I never got my EAS in 90 days. The first one(student)
took 6 months. The last one took 4 more months. This one
is still on the way. I think, it's good place for u to get iEAD
in Santa Ana office.

GOOD LUCK for everybody here!

LA or Santa Ana office?

I am going to get my IEAD in 2 weeks. I live in LA county, but I am not sure if I could go Santa Ana office for my IEAD? Any idea or advice will be very appreciated.

Thank you sks2003 for your information it was very helpful. Could any confirm if it is possible to get an iEAD at santana office if I'm in LA county? thank you for any information.

What documents did you carry to Santa Ana office for interim EAD.
I am derivative applicant. I dont have any I-140 approval notice.

Thank you for your response GodBlessForever. What would be the best time to go to SA office and get an iEAD?

Urgent pl advice

Do I have to pay $ 120 again to get iEAD. my EAD is expiring and my renewal application is pending for more than 90 days.

I feel since i paid for renewal i dont need to carry any money order or bankers check for the same.

Please advice.

IEAD - help Please

Hi all

My current EAD expires on 1st may 2003. I have applied for the renewal. Since it is been already more then 90 days I am planning on going for an IEAD. What are the documents required for this process? Do I need to submit a new EAD application when I go to local INS office?

Thanks for your time.