Got first-time H1B in Toronto. I-94 OK at borders.

beanz

Registered Users (C)
got my H1 last week from Toronto, was on F1 before and had H1 status for almost a year. it doesnt seem to be hard to get the visa if you have all all the documents. they were kind, but asked quite a few questions, more of family and background related, didn\'t even see my employment letter.
One thing to be sure, i-94 still valid at borders, even though the visa officer said i would need the visa to come back. at borders, they just asked if i was citizen, then see my i-94, took away my old i-94(the one with F1), and let go.
Also, one more form need to be filled out, of-157, if you are male and between 16-45.
i would be glad to share my experience as i know exactly how people feel in such situation.

Please clarify my questions.

What is this new form you are talking about? Do they send it alongwith the appointment letter? So they took your old F1 I-94. Did they give you new one? If no, then you wont have I-94 in your passport. Dont you need that when you go out of this country. My case is also F1->H1. I am planning to go to Mexico. Do you know if Mexico is also OK. Any reasons for you not to go to Mexico rather than going to Canada.
Please reply. Thanks

Monika

Male 16 - 45

beanz, I am thinking about going to Canada too for my H-1 stamp. I am between the ages of 16 and 45, plus I am a Muslim from Pakistan. I know that Pakistan is on the list of countries for which they do a 20 day security check. Do you know if I have to wait in Canada for 20 days or so before I get the visa. Any information in this regard would be very helpful.
Thanks

answer

the new form is of-157, it wasnt sent with my appointment letter. they gave it to me on the appointment day to fill out before go up to the window. it\'s only one page one side, asking parents name, previous emplyers and schools attended.

they took away the F1 i-94, but leave the H1 i-94 (from i-797) on my passport. dont submit H1 i-94 until you go abroad other than Cananda and mexico.

reason i go canada is it\'s closer(am in NY). and also I\'ve two friends who just went there the week before, they are on F-1 status but F1 visa expired, and they did NOT any problems coming back in. not sure about Mexico, but should be the same as Canada or better.

I think they will also require the 20 day security check for nationals from the 26 mulism countries, as i saw the message pop up when I make appointment through navars.com.

I went to Mexico on 1/16/02 There was no problem..

Didnt even ask for the employment letter
All soem general talk .

the lawyer said .. new law will not allow you in if you dont have visa stamped

the lawyer said. the law which allows people to return on Approval notice alone is temporarily with held.

If you dont get stamping or if you dont have a previous valid visa (not expired) then there is no problem. If not, you have... at least that is what is \'forcing\' me to seek it in india.

Confirmed with INS - - Approval notice alone not sufficient

Just as an fyi, I had e-mailed INS a few days back, and they said that if I am rejected for visa in Canada/Mexico, I will not be allowed to enter the US on the basis of my I-94/approval notice alone. They said that denial of visa means I have some immigration problem, and they will ask me to go to my home country directly to seek the visa.