Good bye to Concurrent Filing?????

Sabu

Registered Users (C)
Source:www.immigration-law.com

12/05/2004: USCIS May Abandon Concurrent I-140/EB-485 Filing Procedure

The concurrent I-140 and EB-485 filing system was considered a good idea and initially welcome by the immigrant community when it was announced. The system helped the employment-based green card applicants and their family members to obtain EAD and Advance Parole early. However, the two problems have developed and surfaced with the concurrent filing system afterwards. One is the predicament it has created in conjunction with the implementation of AC 21 180-day rule which allows the I-485 applicants to change employment after 180 days of I-485 filing. The issue was whether the I-485 applicants should be allowed to change employment even before the underlying I-140 petitions had been approved. Such interpretation presented a number of complicated political, policy, and legal issues. The USCIS thus adopted a policy that the change of employment would not be allowed until the I-140 was approved. Since then USCIS has witnessed the backlog in I-140 processings and many I-485 filers have been trapped not being able to change employment even in compelling circumstances such as layoffs. The problem was exaceperated by the announcement and partial implementation of "concurrent I-140/EB 485 adjudication policy." Now the EB-485 became a hostage of not only by I-140 approval precondition policy but also by delay of EB-485 adjudications. Pending EB-485 applications, I-140 have remained unadjudicated in some Service Centers indeed for a prolonged period of time. Some Service Centers followed the concurrent adjudication policy but other Service Centers refused to follow the concurrent adjudication policy. The concurrent filing system thus stirred uproars in the business community as well as the immigrant community. The second problem of the concurrent filing appears to be that it has failed to reduce the backlogs. Moreover, such problem is about to face exasperation due to the U.S. Department of Labor's attempt to commence electronic filing of the permanent labor certification applications (PERM) and backlog reduction procedures, which are expected to dump a huge I-140 and EB-485 concurrent filing load on the USCIS which has already been struggling with its own backlog problems. Politically, it is a nightmare in that the USCIS is under a tremendous stress and pressure from the White House to achieve the Bush's 6-month processing time goals in less than two years from now.
In order to deal with the foregoing "two predicaments," the USCIS is known to working on strategies on the two fronts. The first is the so-called interpretation of the new legal counsel of the USCIS who disagreed with the USCIS interpretation of AC 21 180-day rule. It is a well known information within the immigration lawyers community that the new legal counsel was planning to release his legal memorandum to the effect that the EB-485 applicants would be able to change employment even before approval of the I-140 petitions. The release of this memorandum has been delayed for the obvious reasons. The second is consideration of dropping altogether concurrent filing policy which will also kill the concurrent adjudication policy. Since abandonment of the concurrent filing policy will be able to resolve all the difficult and embarrassing political, legal, and policy problems, unconfirmed sources indicate that the USCIS is seriously considering to drop the concurrent filing procedure. Should this materialize, in the coming year, the employment immigration community is expected to be hit by the two lightening rods: One is retrogression of EB-3 visa numbers for Indians, Chinese, and Fillipinos, and the other is suspension of concurrent filing procedure. Ahhhh........., dizzy.................................................

Last edited by a moderator:
well i hope they change the ac21 law for now or do something atleast for the pending 140s to change jobs. this is really frustrating, getting the 140/485 both stuck.

iknowitall said:
well i hope they change the ac21 law for now or do something atleast for the pending 140s to change jobs. this is really frustrating, getting the 140/485 both stuck.

Actually they don't have to change the AC21 law because the law itself does not say that I-140 approval is required to change employer after 180 days. (It was USCIS August 2003 internal memo, which caused all the confusion)

I just hope that after the Visa Numbers retrogress, NSC starts adjudicating 140s of concurrent filers if they can't adjudicate both applications simultaneously.

i agree with u naanshi that the law itself does'nt state that ur 140 has to be approved but recently i have and may be u have also seen letters from the USCIS saying that the ac21 assumption is that the 140 is approved because when it was formulated the 140 had to be approved and only than you could file 485. its a grey area and a contestable one if it leads to complications.

i know you have used ac21 before your 140 approval so it will be interesting to see what happens in your case.

do u have any updates on whats going on with your case ?

Hi Naashi

good to see you back in the Forums. What is going on with you case. My case is stuck EB2 140 -10/31/2003 Waiting, FP Done 05/2004.

I am not sure if something is going to happen in the near future :)

Naanshi,
This article seems almost entirely speculative. Has there been any evidence or action from USCIS that indicates this is a possibility.

Yes, I know. This is entirely speculative only. That was the reason why I used "?????" in the heading, but I strongly feel this is going to happen.

a) As per AC21 law, an Applicant is allowed change employer after 180 days of I-485 filing. So It does not matter if your I-140 is approved or not. Once again, there is no where in the AC 21 law, it states that I-140 approval is required.

b) But "logically", without I-140 approval, there is no I-485 approval.

So the solutions for this issues are

1. Allow the CURRENT concurrent filers to change employer after 180 days irrespective of their I-140 status.

2. And don't allow any more concurrent filings, till you make sure that you can process at least I-140 cases within 180 days to avoid this AC 21 confusion.

Looks like that is what they are trying to do...

Just my views.

naanshi.

Last edited by a moderator:
naanshi, i have to strongly disagree with your posting. The argument is simple. USCIS does not give a damn about us. All the problems you listed are our problems. If they could issue an RFE in a case, they will happily do it. If they could deny someone, the same goes. I dont see why USCIS should be even considering whether or not to pull concurrent filing out because we change jobs without 140. Believe me, it hurts me to say this but logically I think this may be accurate.

the website says USCIS might remove concurrent adjudication not the concurrent filing itself.

I think AC21 came befor concurrent processing. so they assumed I-140 approval at that time. Even thought its not in the law anywhere USCIS will assume (logically) I-140 must be approved to use AC21. We are hoping to use this loop hole in AC21 but all lawfirms including murthy firm is also saying I-140 approval is required to use AC21. So its clear that USCIS had their way

please help

Hi All,
I got pre-appoved labor from a different company.I want apply 140 and 485 at a time.I heard i cannot apply both 140 and 485 after Jan 01,2005.Is that right?.If i want to apply both i have to apply before Dec31 ??.Any input will be great help.
Thanks in Advance

chicagopains said:
Hi All,
I got pre-appoved labor from a different company.I want apply 140 and 485 at a time.I heard i cannot apply both 140 and 485 after Jan 01,2005.Is that right?.If i want to apply both i have to apply before Dec31 ??.Any input will be great help.
Thanks in Advance
It depends on country of your origin and category. If you are not from India, China or Philippines or you are going to apply in EB2 - you are fine.

jambalakadi said:
the website says USCIS might remove concurrent adjudication not the concurrent filing itself.
-----Quote from website--------
The second is consideration of dropping altogether concurrent filing policy which will also kill the concurrent adjudication policy
----End quote----------
So they are talking about droping concurent filing.

jambalakadi said:

I think AC21 came befor concurrent processing. so they assumed I-140 approval at that time. Even thought its not in the law anywhere USCIS will assume (logically) I-140 must be approved to use AC21. We are hoping to use this loop hole in AC21 but all lawfirms including murthy firm is also saying I-140 approval is required to use AC21. So its clear that USCIS had their way

I am not sure what website you refer to. If you were talking about the immigration-law.com, the title read
USCIS May Abandon Concurrent I-140/EB-485 Filing Procedure

Anyway, if one cannot file concurrently, one cannot adjudicate concurrently.

sry

:eek: I did not read this properly. you are correct.

i think its better to remove concurrent filing for our own good.let it be the old way and let them clear backlogs.

Thanks voldemarv

voldemarv said:
It depends on country of your origin and category. If you are not from India, China or Philippines or you are going to apply in EB2 - you are fine.

Thanks for you response i am from india .It means i cannot apply both 140,485 at a time,if i want to apply both i have apply before 31 right??
thanks

chicagopains said:
Thanks for you response i am from india .It means i cannot apply both 140,485 at a time,if i want to apply both i have apply before 31 right??
thanks
Can't be sure till we get next Visa bulletin. My personal opinion - file as soon as possible.