Going to Tiujana Mexico on GC

Rajah101

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to go to southern CA for a few days, during this visit I also want to visit Tijuana, Mexico for a few hours.
I have a GC (stamped in PP). Do I need a visa to get into Mexico? Also, do I need to carry additional documents (other than PP) to get back to US.

Please share your experiences if you have been to Tijuana with a GC. Thanks.

Rajah101 said:
I am planning to go to southern CA for a few days, during this visit I also want to visit Tijuana, Mexico for a few hours.
I have a GC (stamped in PP). Do I need a visa to get into Mexico? Also, do I need to carry additional documents (other than PP) to get back to US.

Please share your experiences if you have been to Tijuana with a GC. Thanks.

Take your GC and passport, or passport with stamped GC approval.

I am the expert with Tijuana, aquí están mis experiences....

- If you drink tequila, make sure you do so after sucking on a lemon wedge. The lemon will reduce the hang over next day
- Tijuana is short on frills but big on thrills
- The best time to visit bars will be on weekends, after midnight
- For years, the drinking spots were GoGo bars with a local soliciting business from the door where the dancers were known for their "extra performances" for a few additional pesos
- The best places are the Eclipse, Iguana-Rana's Bar & Grill and the El Torito Pub

The motto to live by in Tijuana is.... drink and make merry.

Saw this thread and i just wanted to tell my experience.
I am not sure if this is relevant as it happened in 2000 (before 9/11 incident).

Me and my friends (4 of us) went to SanDiego and from there drove to Tijuana. We just drove..didnt think of Visa/passport etc. Nobody asked us anything when we entered mexico. Everything went fine and we had a good time.
But on the way back the next day, we were stopped at the US border. It was at that point we realised that two of us didnt even have our passports. We were held at the border for almost 5 hours, had to meet half a dozen officers etc. Somehow we were able to convince them that we are software professionals working in CA and it was a genuine mistake to travel without passports. We had CA driving licenses too.
Finally, two of us (without passport) had to pay a penalty fee of $275 each and all of us were let back in without further problems.

pv1976 said:
Saw this thread and i just wanted to tell my experience.
I am not sure if this is relevant as it happened in 2000 (before 9/11 incident).
[....]
Finally, two of us (without passport) had to pay a penalty fee of $275 each and all of us were let back in without further problems.

Judging by your greencard timeline in your sig you were on your H1 or F1 visa back then? All of you?

JoeF said:
Yeah, if you don't have a GC, you indeed need a passport to come back. Somebody who had a student visa at that time has told me a similar story. With a GC, though, there is no problem to come back, even if you don't have a passport with you.
Not having a passport in Mexico may be a violation of Mexican law, though, and while they don't check at the border in Tijuana, if you have a run-in with Mexican police, they may hold you for days...

True. That was so stupid on our part to do that.
Actually, we didnt have much idea then....we were bachelors...we were new to the country...etc etc.