Going to Mexico

shie0023

Registered Users (C)
OK, need some guidance here. A very close friend (US citizen) of my has a wedding in Mexico in April 2008 and I was invited to attend and I plan to. With the new border law, a US Passport or birth certificate or naturalization certificate is required for re-entry. The part of Mexico that I'll be going is "Rocky Point" (Puerto Pensaco) and it's considered a "Free Zone".

I only have a US greencard and a US driver's license. My questions are:

1) what kind of trouble will I be faced with during re-entry process at the border? Can I be banned from re-entry as a permanent resident?
2) do any of you have horror stories about trying to get back into the US from Mexico?
3) what documents should I have with me besides my green card, US drivers license, and my foreign passport?

I'm currently waiting for my N400 interview letter to arrive nd don't know if by April I'll be interviewed yet, will going out of country to Mexico for one night affect my naturalization chances?

Thanks to all who responds.

Any RECENT experiences and stories about re-entry from Mexico is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
1) what kind of trouble will I be faced with during re-entry process at the border? Can I be banned from re-entry as a permanent resident?
Are you a legal permanent resident in the US? If the answer is YES then there's no trouble unless you don't have your passport + green card.

2) do any of you have horror stories about trying to get back into the US from Mexico?
Yes. If you are an ilegal immigrant trying to cross the Mexico-US border you might certainly face some horror stories. If you are a legal permanent resident then you do not have anything to worry about. It's a wonderful country; go and enjoy the wonderful beaches of Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Cozumel.

3) what documents should I have with me besides my green card, US drivers license, and my foreign passport?
Mexico is a foreign country just like any other country. A legal permanent resident needs passport + green card to re-enter the United States.

I'm currently waiting for my N400 interview aletter to arrive nd don't know if by April I'll be interviewed yet, will going out of country to Mexico for one night affect my naturalization chances?
As long as you don't miss your interview, and as long as you don't stay in Mexico for more than 180 days, why would it affect your citizenship?

I have no experience traveling to or from Mexico, but I would think that there is no travel restriction. Do you have a passport from your country of citizenship? From what I understand we are free to travel as long as we disclose the travel at time of the interview. I do not see how attending a friends wedding in Mexico would substitute a problem. If you need a passport to re-enty though regardless of it being US passport or other passport and you do not posses one I would be more careful about leaving the country and get all the info needed. I do not think you can enter the US with just your Greencard. You need your passport ( non-US ) plus your Greencard!

Are you a legal permanent resident in the US? If the answer is YES then there's no trouble unless you don't have your passport + green card.

Yes. If you are an ilegal immigrant trying to cross the Mexico-US border you might certainly face some horror stories.

Mexico is a foreign country just like any other country. A legal permanent resident needs passport + green card to re-enter the United States.

As long as you don't miss your interview, and as long as you don't stay in Mexico for more than 180 days, why would it affect your citizenship?

Thanks for your prompt reply...

So now that my N400 is pending and if I do make it to my friend's wedding in Mexico, then do I just inform my immigration officer at my N400 interview that I did do an international travel for one day?

Another point of clarification: A USCIS travel document is only needed when one does not have their foreign passport, correct? Since I have my foreign passport, then I don't need a "travel document" right?

I do have in my possession my foreign passport, my green card and a US driver's license.

So now that my N400 is pending and if I do make it to my friend's wedding in Mexico, then do I just inform my immigration officer at my N400 interview that I did do an international travel for one day?
Yes, inform the officer of any international trip you took between the time you filed your N-400 and your interview. It's also nice to have with you an updated copy of the N-400 section that mentions international trips.

Another point of clarification: A USCIS travel document is only needed when one does not have their foreign passport, correct? Since I have my foreign passport, then I don't need a "travel document" right?
Legal Permanent Residents do not need a travel document. Travel documents are for people who are adjusting their status and do not have a valid visa stamp on their passports, for instance. Just out of curiosity, have you never traveled overseas since becoming a permanent resident?

I do have in my possession my foreign passport, my green card and a US driver's license.
Legal permanent residents need passport + green card to re-enter the United States. That's it.

Visa Requirements

Before you make the travel, check out the weblink to see if you need visa to enter Mexico. Since you have Green Card, meaning you carry a foreign passport - you might or might not need visa before entering Mexico. The link below should give you an answer.

http://portal.sre.gob.mx/usa/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=111&op=page&SubMenu=

Thanks for your prompt reply...

Technically the green card is sufficient to enter the US without a foreign passport, although they often ask for the passport at the port of entry.

All of you guys been a great help! I didn't think I would have trouble getting back in, but it never hurts to ask. Man, going to Mexico for a wedding is more complicated than what I had initially thought!

For example, I'm driving into Mexico from Arizona and if I get a rental car then I have to purchase a "mexican auto insurance"! I'm strongly considering doing a shuttle service so I don't have to worry about that crap!