Going on F1 (student visa) beyond 6th year of H1b

peace4u

Registered Users (C)
Is it possible to go on a full-time F1 (student visa) beyond 6th year of H1b?. If so, can some one please post how this can be done. And once you are done with your studies, is it possible to get back on to a F1 visa?. Or will you need to restart with a J-1 or other visa?..

If someone can explain how this works, I would appreciate that a lot.
thanks

I think that you meant going back on H1B visa after finishing your studies.

AFAIK, the answer is no. Your H1B clock gets reset only if you are out of United States for 1 year. It won't get reset if you are present here on F1.

peace4u said:
Is it possible to go on a full-time F1 (student visa) beyond 6th year of H1b?. If so, can some one please post how this can be done. And once you are done with your studies, is it possible to get back on to a F1 visa?. Or will you need to restart with a J-1 or other visa?..

If someone can explain how this works, I would appreciate that a lot.
thanks

thanks for the response

pmat, thanks for the response. I actually meant boith, going full-time on f1 and then coming back to h1b. So can I apply for any other visa to resolve this issue like J1 etc.. or can i be on spouse visa during the interim.. i guess for the latter case I wont be able to work right?..

Going on F1 will not be a problem. You will get I-20 from the school and you would need to go to a consulate for visa stamp if you are planning to go outside US.

After that other visas for Work depend on field of your study. I have a friend who is doing post-doc on J-1 after his PhD. I don't know whether that visa is anyway related to H1B clock. Do some research on that visa.