Getting SSN for Spouse with EAD

konvav

Registered Users (C)
Me and my wife got EAD few days back. we are on H1 and H4. We want to apply for her SSN. The question is as soon as she gets her SSN using EAD , means are we using EAD? Our H1 & H4 are going to void??

Thanks in advance.
konvav.

No. The minute your wife gets SSN deos not mean that you are on EAD.

I'm on the same boat as you.My wife got her SSN and we still have 2 years left on H1. We are not using EAD.

However, check with your attorney once.

No. What ashwin_kc said is correct.

I am on h1 and my wife on H4. We got her ssn ( driver license purpose etc..).
Attorney said EAD will be activated only if she is using for work.

Question on how to get SSN itself.

Hi,
Can H4 visa holders apply for SSN after they get EAD? Do we have to provide a specific purpose. In colorado SSN is not required for Driver's License, is there any other way we can apply for SSN??
Thanks.

Apply SSN based on EAD

you can apply SSN for your wife as she has work permit (EAD). There is no other way for SSN for H4's

shre said:
I am on h1 and my wife on H4. We got her ssn ( driver license purpose etc..).
Attorney said EAD will be activated only if she is using for work.

Your Attorney said EAD will be activated, is that mean EAD for her or both?.
Are they treat it seperately or single application. What I mean by single application is if I am on H1 and my wife H4, when she use EAD is that mean my status also become EAD?.Or still H1?.

Your spouse (on H-4) can apply for a SSN as soon as you have a EAD card in your hand. I do not believe that you need to give any reason to the Social Security administration as to why you are applying for a SSN.

Merely obtaining a SSN does not mean you have used your EAD. H-4 status is still maintained unless you use EAD to get a job or work in any way to get paid, after which H-4 status is lost and the individual is purely on "Pending AOS" status.

Even in this case, only the dependent has lost his/her H-4 status. The primary applicant still maintains H-1B status.

This is what my attorney has told me and I am in this situation right now where my wife is working and is using her EAD (after we obtained her SSN) and I am maintaining my H-1B.

Hope this helps