Getting Residency in Maryland, Virginia and DC area

R C

Registered Users (C)
Does anybody know how difficult is it to get a residency position in Maryland, Virginia and DC area? My wife is MBBS doctor from India and is in the process of taking MLE. We have a GC. Any experiences or inputs?

No Title

With a GC it shouldn\'t be tough..lot\'s of hospitals take FMGs in Maryland and DC.Good scores are always a help..externship experience wouldn\'t harm either

No Title

Thanks for your reply. How does one go about getting an externship? Do you by any chance know any specific hospitals/schools in VA/MD/DC area which offer externships?

No Title

DC General
Harbor Hospital

These do offer externship for sure..Harbor is good..DC general isn\'t
 As for others, the best way is to call up and find out.

No Title

You\'ll need to call up the hospitals in ur area..generally only GC holders are allowed to do externship..rest can do observership

No Title

can you kindly explain the difference between externship and observership. Is externship recognized training?

No Title

Externship provides you with hands on clinical training where as during observership all you are allowed to do is attend academic sessions or the rounds but not actually touch the patients..neither is recognised..just help in getting a good recommendation from a US doc

No Title

thank you ash. i am a canadian citizen FMG with an RN wife, canadian as well. A prospective employer submited I140 for my wife- in March. I have step 1,2 &3. I hope to do residency in the us. while we wait i am thinking of doing either an observership or externship- to get good references. does anyone know whether TN visa is good for externship. any suggestions? I don\'t want J1. Geting residency in Canada ( for IMG\'s ) is like trying to go through the eye of a needle.

No Title

I did my residency on H-1B visa. I think you are eligible to apply for this visa is you have passed steps 1,2, and 3. But I heard that lately some programs do not want to sponsor people on H-1B visa. It depends, you would have to see when you go for the interviews if they would sponsor you or not. With GC you have much better chance to get into programs that you want. The whole process to get into residency however now takes long time, you have to start applying in the fall and go through "Match", get your interviews, and sometime in March see the results of "Match". You may find a hospital that has unmatched slots or needs to fill a spot right away because someone left. In any events, do not accept J-1 or you will be stuck forever.

No Title

hi,
i got my residency this year after trying for 2 yrs....this time i am joining on GC. last year i was interviewing hoping to get on H1 visa, although many of the programs i interviewed at, were interested in taking me but they were not ready to sponsor H visas and i did not want to go on J1 visa so decided to wait (as my husband had filed for GC)...i had been doing externship for 2 yrs....since you will be only a volunteer , it does not matter what visa you are on (as long as you are someway legally in the US...i was on dependent visa). you need step 3 for H visa sponsorship which you have, but as said b4 lot of programs are not ready to sponsor H1 visas unless u have GREAT scores (otherwise they don\'t want to go to the trouble).
hope this helps....good luck

No Title

thank you both. i will place applications via ERAS this summer, hoping to find a program willing to sponsor H1. my steps 1& 2 scores are good; 3 is average. If i dont get residency, i will go for externship. another probem, however is having to do the CSA again ( expensive exam ).

No Title

Good luck, maybe you will have your GC next year in July and be able to start residency with it.