Getting ready to apply for citizenship

Stratos

Registered Users (C)
I've looked through this forum but I could not find answers to my very basic questions. I hope someone can help me.

My wife, 2 children (both under 18) will become eligible for citizenship this year.

1. Do I submit one N400 for me and another one for my wife? 2 checks?
2. Do I have to submit N600 for my kids? I've read that I don't really need to do this, that I could just order a passport for them once my wife and I become citizens.

Thanks.

1. You will have to submit one form for yourself and another for your wife.
It is better to send 2 separate checks.

2. If your kids (GC holders living with you) under 18 the day you naturalize then the kids acquire US citizenship automatically and you cam simply apply for their passports at the same time as you apply for yourself. For kid's passports you will need your certificate on naturalization, their birth certificates showing parents's names and their original green cards. You can apply for all your passports (kids and parents) at the same time.

N600 allows you to get an alternate proof of citizenship called the Certificate of Citizenship. It costs $460 for each child, takes several months and requires a personal interview. In my opinion it is not worth the money; passports are as good a proof of US citizenship.

2. Do I have to submit N600 for my kids? I've read that I don't really need to do this, that I could just order a passport for them once my wife and I become citizens.
It is not mandatory. But it has the advantage over the passport in that it does not expire, and it provides a solid piece of proof of their citizenship which is independent of you if their passport ever gets lost. If you lost your passport you'd use your natz certificate to get another one; if they lose theirs, they may have to rely on your natz certificate as well as proving the parental relationship, because they don't have their own certificate.

If you don't apply for the N-600 for them, apply for the passport card as well as the passport book, so they'll have another proof of citizenship in case one is lost or destroyed (and keep the card and book stored in separate houses, of course). Then when they grow up you can remind them of filing the N-600 on their own if they want one, so they won't ever have to depend on your certificate.

From my understanding only children under the age of 18 may file for N-600. I will look into this matter regarding how people are stating that a child will automatically become us citizen if their parents become naturalized. I have yet to have heard or seen it. If you guys see that someone I would like if you guys can attached a link where i can look at it. Always something new to learn

From my understanding only children under the age of 18 may file for N-600. I will look into this matter regarding how people are stating that a child will automatically become us citizen if their parents become naturalized. I have yet to have heard or seen it. If you guys see that someone I would like if you guys can attached a link where i can look at it. Always something new to learn
I became a citizen 3 years ago and on the very day I took oath, I applied for US passports for me and my two sons. They were 17 and 15 back then. We received US passports in about 8 days. Never bothered to apply N-600 for them. I had to attach the copy of my naturalization certificate with their application(s) and attacth the original with my application.

Thanks for the info Mpotturi, I didn't know that was the case. I will look into that, I guess the N-600 is only pratical for those children who unfortunately already turn 18 or older and can't fall under their parents finally becoming naturalized