Getting Project out of US while 485 Pending..

Sal 2002

Registered Users (C)
I have a complex situation, My 485 was filed in Aug 2002 and therefore probably will take 6/7 more months atleast to get it apporec, while my current project is ending in July 2003.

I have got an offer for a project in London and I have to more to London for that for a year, how that will affect my 485.
Although I remain employee of my cunsulting company in US.

I was in a similar situation last year when I was in London for a project for my US employer. My lawyer then told me that since I am on payroll of the US company AND I continued to maintain a US address, there's no problem. Only thing is that once you do receive the approval notice (your lawyer should also get that notice), you have to return to the US ASAP to get the passport stamped. That's it.

Please talk to your immigration lawyer to confirm this.

Good luck and have fun. London is a great city.

Talk to your lawyer how to come up with a good strategy for keeping your I-485 alive while you're away. This includes obtaining AP (if you don't have a valid H1 or L1), how to maintain a US address so BCIS won't think that you're abandoning your I-485, etc...

I think this is OK - just be careful that you do return back before AP expires - you cant not stay out for more than a year continuously.

London is one of my favourite city to - be sure to travel in UK - its a lovely country if the weather gods smile on you.