Getting married to a non-immigrant

immigrant76

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I have just sent in the N-400 to VSC in Sept 2004 and at present I am waiting for an interview to be set up in the Boston Service Center. I plan to get married to my fiance who is an H-1B visa holder.

My question is whether getting married to a non-immigrant H-1B visa holder while N-400 is pending is going to have any adverse effect on my application for citizenship?

My fiance's H-1B visa is going to expire in 5 months' time and he has almost used up the 6 years limit provisioned under the H-1B visa. His labor certification is still pending after 3 years with no approval/rejection so far.

As many of you have experienced, this is a very frustrating situation because there is no way to know for sure how long it's going to take to be a US citizen and meanwhile I am putting my marriage on hold. Everything is at the mercy of USCIS/FBI.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

immigrant76 said:
Hi all,

I have just sent in the N-400 to VSC in Sept 2004 and at present I am waiting for an interview to be set up in the Boston Service Center. I plan to get married to my fiance who is an H-1B visa holder.

My question is whether getting married to a non-immigrant H-1B visa holder while N-400 is pending is going to have any adverse effect on my application for citizenship?

My fiance's H-1B visa is going to expire in 5 months' time and he has almost used up the 6 years limit provisioned under the H-1B visa. His labor certification is still pending after 3 years with no approval/rejection so far.

As many of you have experienced, this is a very frustrating situation because there is no way to know for sure how long it's going to take to be a US citizen and meanwhile I am putting my marriage on hold. Everything is at the mercy of USCIS/FBI.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I was under the impression that a H1B holder can extend his H1B as long as the labor certification is accepted and pending (even though the 6 years are up). You may want to check into this.

On the other hand...my thoughts on your question: Do what you have to do....and don't put your life on hold until you get citizenship. Life is just too dang short to worry about everything :) .... Good luck.