Getting married after naturalization

Chirl

Registered Users (C)
I'm getting married in December and will be getting my citizenship before then (hopefully). My interview is in October. I want to wait until I get married to change my ss card, get my passport etc becuase I'll be taking my husband's last name. Is this going to confuse things terribly? My naturalization cert will have a different name than that which I want on my passport, and my ss card will have to be a name change and to reomve the work condition statement.

Anyone gone through this?

You have a couple of choices

1. Go through your naturalization with your current name. If you don't need your passport you can wait till you get married, or get a passport in your maiden name. Get your Social Security card updated. Once you get married, you can take your marriage certificate and get your name changed on your drivers license, Social security card, and passport. Your naturalization certificate will have your old name...but that combined with your marriage certificate is proof enough of your new married name.

2. During your interview, you can tell the interviewing officer that you want to change your name and get the new married name on your naturalization certificate.

Either option you choose, will not complicate things...just a matter of your choice.