Get your US citizenship in less than 5 years.

sleepless_in_IN

Registered Users (C)
To all Green Card Holders, I am requesting all of you to write to every senator/legislator in your State asking for US citizenship in less than 5 years IF you have already lived in the US for more than 5 years legally and continuously on other legal status.

Here is my draft of the letter - please use it as a starting point. Feel free to edit and post better templates if you wish to. If enough of us write than there is a chance for this since it increases voters and politicians are usually motivated by that.

Thanks a lot!

-------------TEMPLATE START-------------------------------------------
Date:
To:
Address

Dear Senator ______________,

I have been living in the US for over X (enter # of years in the US) years on different legal visas. I entered the country legally and have abided by the laws of this country. On ____________(enter date) I became a Permanent Resident through __________(family petition/employment- pick one).

In order to become a US citizen I must now wait for another five years. This initial waiting period was originally determined and intended for the immigrant to familiarize themselves with the US way of life and fully integrate immigrants to into this community. Since I have already been in the US continuous for “X” number of years which exceeds the 5 years I would like to encourage you to change this waiting period for those of us who have lived in the US for over 5 years and are fluent in English to be eligible to apply for US Citizenship without having to wait for another 5 years. I encourage you to make this part of the Comprehensive Immigration Reform legislation.

US Citizenship would allow us to make greater impact to the US (work for Military Service, Government, and Defense Suppliers is one example) in addition to being able to unite with our family quicker (immediate family would not be subject to the immigration quota). To be in the US without immediate family is of extreme hardship so with US’s best interest in mind we would appreciate legislation to change the 5 year waiting period for permanent resident have already lived in the US for over 5 years on temporary immigrant visa. In addition to that we would be eligible to vote and you would have expanded your voter base in your favor.

Your support of this initiative will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Name
Address