General Question -- Call In Special Registration

shriyaz

Registered Users (C)
Hello

I am looking for some general advice?

I am an indian Citizen, born in Bahrain. (one of the countries mentioned in the Group II call in registration)-- deadline now extended to February 10 2003

I am currently in the country as a non-immigrant (H-1B Visa)

Further I am planning a short trip to India before February 10th 2003 (new deadline), do I have to register

Per US operating procedures I am NOT considered a National Of Bahrain in the United States. I have foind an office site for supporting this (http://www.opm.gov/extra/investigate/IS-01.pdf)

Do I have to do the Registration? is anyone else in the same boat?

Your opinion in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Please note that I will not construe this as a legal advice

Thanks

This might help...

if you check the office by office summary on AILA's webpage (www.aila.org), you will find an instance (in des moines, iowa), where a swedish citizen born in lebanon, who appeared for registration, was told that he did not need to register.

i am speculating that he would have been born to swedish parents in lebanon (hence ethnically {read that "racially"} swedish {read that "white"}). he was probably not a native lebanese who acquired swedish citizenship (therefore still an arab).

i guess you should still check with an immigration attorney.

BTW, there have been unconfirmed news reports that starting in may or june, india is also going to be added to the special registration list. the official spiel is that the gov't wants eventually to register all foriegners present in the u.s. i'll wait for the day they when the require all citizens of UK, Germany, Australia etc. to appear, get fingerprinted, photographed and interviewed.

won't it be a sight to ozzy osbourne coming for special registration?

wanna bet your bottom dollar it ain't happenin'?