GC taken at INFOPASS, Now cant make copy to send for Naturalization

tooth

Registered Users (C)
A few months ago, I went to an INFOPASS appointment with my wife and asked the immigration officer to stamp her passport because her greencard was going to expire within a few days. We wanted to get her passport stamped because we had already filed the I-751 (Application to remove Conditional Status) but had never received the Notice of Action (NOA) that extends the greencard for one year. The immigration officer stamped the passport and we were subsequently mailed the NOA later. However, the immigration officer would not give the actual, physical greencard back. The immigration officer explaned that it was normal for them to hold on to greencards that were going to expire and that once the conditional status was removed, we would get a new greencard in the mail anyway. Anyone who's filed the I-751 lately knows that it takes about a year before it goes through. In fact, it is so common for the I-751 to be delayed that most people will apply for Naturalization before the I-751 has even been approved. So, now, I don't have a greencard to make a copy to send in with the Naturalization application form N-400. I admit, I've been short-sighted for not thinking to make a front and back copy of her greencard in my own files. But what would you do if you were in my place? Surely someone here understands what I'm going through and has some suggestions.

The greencard wasn't lost and it's in the process of being replaced so I don't think form I-90 (Application to Replace a Permanent Resident Card) is correct.

You could skip that and send the application without the GC copy. Your recipt notice will say "documents missing" and the application will be accepted.

Hi,

Don't take what I say as anything more than my opinion. I don't have experience on this. My take would be that a photocopy of the identification page of the passport and the passport stamp page should work in lieu of the green card photocopies. Perhaps a cover letter explaining the situation when you mail the N-400 would help too. You're providing the Alien number in the application so they can trace all the information on the GC easily. If the GC materializes before the interview then you should be fine. I think you should be fine anyway, as you are doing things properly.

My 2 cents