GC query for 2nd Degree Nurse

2ndDegreeNurse

I am currently pursuing accelerated BS Nursing (2nd Degree option) which is a 1 yr. program. I am on F-1 visa in USA for this program.

Will I be able to qualify for VisaScreen certificate, as I read somewhere that CGFNS requires a program of altleast 2 years in length?

Do I need VisaScreen certificate or will I qualify for certified statement? and is certified statement enough for green card application?

Will I be eligible for 1 year PT (practical training) after the completion of my degree and can I work full time as a RN during this time (obviously after clearing the NCLEX and getting a license)?

Please respond.

Rn

On the 2-yr nursing program requirement for Visa Screen Certificate, i am not sure but if you are eligible to take the NCLEX-RN after graduating - then i don't think it will be an issue. The best thing is to download the visa screen handout from the cgfns.com website and read it. Call the customer service people if you have to. This is the first time i have ever heard this.

You cannot apply for I-485 without a visa screen cert. There is no other certificate program. Before, they will just send you an RFE when u don't file it with the application but now i saw in some forums (don't know if its true) that USCIS will stamp an "intent to deny" without it. This is hearsay. However, my hospital required the visa screen before they processed my papers.

Visa screen takes a while to process. Minimum 2 months even with English exemption and TOR coming here from USA.

For practical training, i am not very familiar with it. Sorry.

You cannot work unless you have a work permit (EAD). If you obtain an EAD with your F-1 visa for practical training, then its fine. As long as you have an EAD, then its legal.

2nd Degree Nurse

Hi I Am On F1 Visa Here In Us Pursuing My As In Nursing And Was Wondering If You Could Explain Me The Program U R In The One Year Option For Bsn And Was Wondering If I Could Do The Same. I Was Wondering If You Could Tell Me The Name Of The College/ University And Little Abt The Program I Will Really Appreciate That .
Thank You

You can check with your local universities if they offer 1 yr. BSN programs. There are usually pre-requisities for these programs and depending on your previous degree it can take 3-8 months to complete. I am currently pursuing this program in Michigan at Wayne State University.

Second Degree RN/OPT/Visa Screen Cert.

Second Degree RN programm is an accelerated Bachelor programm that is specially designed for the person who already have a 4 year Bachelor Degree in any other field such as Engineering, Computer etc. They call it accelerated programm cauz you can earn BSN degree in 12 to 18 months vs. 4 yrs. To be eligible for this program you must have 4 yr. Bachelor degree in any field, and you must complete all the prerequisites befor you start your BSN programm. Usually county colleges are not offering this program you need to search on internet for Accelerated Nursing programm.

If you are doing Accelerated Nursing and you are on F-1 visa, you can get 1 year OPT, you need to fill I-765form to get your OPT Card usually it take 90 to 120 days. You can start your OPT after you finish your college. If you are doing your Nursing on a regular 4 yr. degree programm or 2 yr. associate degree programm you can also get CPT for 360 days, for which you do not need to apply to USCIS, you have to make sure that your CPT duration won't exceed more than 365 days otherwise your will not get OPT.

Once you finish your Bachelore or associate degree in nursing and after passing NCLEX you need to apply for Visa Screen certificate, and if you received your BS degree in US than you don't need to take English test. It take between 4 to 12 weeks depending upon how fast you can send all the documents to CGFNS.

I hope this is help full.

Question about OPT

@jpatel. I realize that this is an older post. But if you could answer my question, I would be much obliged.

My question is. If I am doing the accelerated second degree program, meaning I already have a bachelor from US, then am I eligible for a second OPT? In other words, I have a bachelor degree in a non-nursing major and I used the OPT for that back in '06. Now I want to do the second bachelor accelerated degree in nursing. Upon completion of this degree, will I be eligible again for OPT?

What if I went for an Associate Program in nursing (instead of second Bachelor in nursing). Will I be eligible for second OPT in this case.

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Second Degree RN programm is an accelerated Bachelor programm that is specially designed for the person who already have a 4 year Bachelor Degree in any other field such as Engineering, Computer etc. They call it accelerated programm cauz you can earn BSN degree in 12 to 18 months vs. 4 yrs. To be eligible for this program you must have 4 yr. Bachelor degree in any field, and you must complete all the prerequisites befor you start your BSN programm. Usually county colleges are not offering this program you need to search on internet for Accelerated Nursing programm.

If you are doing Accelerated Nursing and you are on F-1 visa, you can get 1 year OPT, you need to fill I-765form to get your OPT Card usually it take 90 to 120 days. You can start your OPT after you finish your college. If you are doing your Nursing on a regular 4 yr. degree programm or 2 yr. associate degree programm you can also get CPT for 360 days, for which you do not need to apply to USCIS, you have to make sure that your CPT duration won't exceed more than 365 days otherwise your will not get OPT.

Once you finish your Bachelore or associate degree in nursing and after passing NCLEX you need to apply for Visa Screen certificate, and if you received your BS degree in US than you don't need to take English test. It take between 4 to 12 weeks depending upon how fast you can send all the documents to CGFNS.

I hope this is help full.