GC married F1 - how about visa?

disney1973

Hi,

I have GC and my wife is an F-1 student. I just filed I-130 for her but it takes 5 years to complete the whole process. It looks like my wife cannot get her student visa either, because she definitely has immigration tendency. Her school is about to over and as a poet, she can't find a job here. Does it mean she has to go home and wait? Is there any other way to get her a legal resident status? Please help. Many thanks.

Dependent on my opinion and experience, it is better for you not to file your wife's I-130 now. If you did not file I-130 for her, your wife can keep her F-1 or H-1B status in states and freely enter states. You wife also has 1 year of pratical training period after she finishes her study in states. How long will you become a citizen? If your wife can not find jobs in states or be one student, she needs to go homecountry to wait.

Thanks.

I am not sure about this, but you can ask a lawyer. I think if the spouse was legally in the country before your adjustment of status was applied, then you can directly apply for adjustment of status for spouse, which takes about a year