GC for Sibling (I-130 Questions)

RodeoHouston

I am getting ready to apply for Green Card for my sibling (Sister) and have a few questions.

I was naturalized last month and reside in Texas. My sister is currently in India, she is 26 years old and is single. I believe the first step is to file I-130. My service center here in the US is Texas Service Center. Should I send the application (I-130) to TSC? Or does it need to be submitted to the appropriate US embassy in India?

Do I need to submit Form FC-029 - Copy Certification form? I have not seen this particular form mentioned on the I-130 itself but is mentioned here

I plan on submitting a copy of my Sisters birth certificate which is in both English and Hindi. Does this need to be notarized?

Once submitted will the I-130 only be approved once visa numbers become available? I believe the current wait for Family-4 category is 15 years, will the I-130 itself take that long? Or is the I-130 approved (relatively quickly) and then we must wait to apply for Consular processing once Visa numbers are available?

Regards

RodeoHouston said:
I am getting ready to apply for Green Card for my sibling (Sister) and have a few questions.

I was naturalized last month and reside in Texas. My sister is currently in India, she is 26 years old and is single. I believe the first step is to file I-130. My service center here in the US is Texas Service Center. Should I send the application (I-130) to TSC? Or does it need to be submitted to the appropriate US embassy in India?

Do I need to submit Form FC-029 - Copy Certification form? I have not seen this particular form mentioned on the I-130 itself but is mentioned here

I130 needs to be filed with appropriate USCIS service center. I do not know about FC-029 but please check USCIS website for complete information on filing I130 and supporting documents.

RodeoHouston said:
I plan on submitting a copy of my Sisters birth certificate which is in both English and Hindi. Does this need to be notarized?

I don't think so. USCIS instructions do specify what is required. In my I130 petitions for parents, I only submitted a copy (not notarized) of my birth certificate to establish relationship.

RodeoHouston said:
Once submitted will the I-130 only be approved once visa numbers become available? I believe the current wait for Family-4 category is 15 years, will the I-130 itself take that long? Or is the I-130 approved (relatively quickly) and then we must wait to apply for Consular processing once Visa numbers are available?

USCIS service centers do approve petitions before visa numbers become available and send them to NVC. However NVC will not take further action on it for consular processing till visa number becomes available. Please check TSC processing times on USCIS website for I130.