Gap between J-1 and F-1

unifor

Hi, I am currently a visiting scholar with J-1 visa but recently I am considering reading for another degree here in an American university. The problem is my current DS-2019 form will expire in May. 30, 2011. So if I apply for the admission of 2011 Fall semester, which will start from Aug. 2011, there will be a two-month gap between J-1 and F-1. I want to know if I have to go back to China after my J-1 status expires and re-enter as F-1 student? or I can just stay here and apply for the transfer? Thanks a lot!

ps, I've applied for waiver for the 2-year Home Residency Requirement, hopefully it will get done in Sept. or Oct., so that will not be a problem.

Following the completion of the J1 program, a Grace Period is defined on the Form DS-2019, USCIS allows participants a 30-day travel period commonly referred to as the "Grace Period." During this 30-day grace period, participants are no longer in J-visa status, and are under the jurisdiction of the USCIS.

The USCIS grants this period to allow participants to settle their affairs and to prepare to return to their home countries. Program participants may no longer continue and/or complete exchange activities, nor may they work. Although participants may travel in the United States, it is recommended that they do not travel beyond the borders of the United States as they may not be permitted reentry. See http://www.greencardapply.com/j1/j1_faq.htm

If you stay, you will be out of status and subject to deportation.
Besides, you cannot change your status from within the US while having the 2-year rule. This is clearly written on the 2nd page of DS-2019.