fyi..AP experience - good

ton_ton

Registered Users (C)
fyi.. I work using H1B, but entered with AP since H1 visa is not stamped yet. SFO entry

1. completed my white 194 in the flight
2. stood in non-citizen line
3. officer asked me to go to secondory inspection
4. sec inspection is in the back with lots of stiing space and 3 officers or so.
5. gave my passport, i94 and ap
6. officer asked for ead card also
7. asked a couple of questions like where I worked and how long I was out of the country
8. went to the back of the room and came back in 5 minutes with stamp till valid till ap expiry date
9. asked me to use the same ap till expiry date

as long as no no egal presence you should be fine. good luck to all fo 485 approval!

AP has to be used with valid EAD?

The officer asked for EAD? Does it mean that AP has to be used along with a valid EAD?

EAD is a very important thing to have during entering US if one is working using EAD. The immigration officer can ask you whatever they want especially if it concerns your work status here. If you say you work, you have to be able to show either H1 or EAD. It has nothing to do with the AP travel document. They just ask if you are working, a perfectly legal question, and if you say yes, you must have your document with you which allows you to work.

Originally posted by ruxrux They just ask if you are working, a perfectly legal question, and if you say yes, you must have your document with you which allows you to work.

EAD is document for HR department, not for crossing border.

ton_ton which airlines did you fly?

I am taking Thai airways and was wondering if the airlines people understand AP . Did you give a copy to airlines people? Please share. Thanks

Originally posted by Tasse
EAD is document for HR department, not for crossing border.
The AP is for crossing border, EAD is not for crossing border but if the guy asks you "Do you intend to work" and you say "Yes", what do you show besides EAD that tells him that you may work?

Originally posted by ruxrux
The AP is for crossing border, EAD is not for crossing border but if the guy asks you "Do you intend to work" and you say "Yes", what do you show besides EAD that tells him that you may work?

I may say "No" or I may say EAD in HR department or I may say I will apply for EAD tomorrow

Last edited:
one more question...

I am going to work on EAD,and wife is not working and she has H4 stamped on her passport.

If she goes on AP, while coming back what are the documents
they will ask ? Please share...

Thanks

Originally posted by Tasse
I may say "No" or I may say EAD in HR department or I may say I will apply for EAD tomorrow

Tasse, Its easy to comment this here. But when Immigration officer asks for EAD at POE and one refused to show..HE/SHE would in problems.
I agree EAD is for HR purposes but these days logic does not make much sense. Hope you agree. See the I-485 trend? Can you shout at them and teach them logic to get your case approved? There is a big difference between what has written on papers as rules and reality.

Suggestion for all : try to carry EAD with you (if you can) while entering back in USA if you are to use AP. Rest is individual personal choice.

No need for EAD when using AP?

My wife and I re-entered the US a couple of weeks back using AP with no problems.
Our H visas had expired, but we had receipts for their renewal. I have an EAD, but my wife does not. We took copies of our 485 receipts and last 3 paystubs.

We offered the official all the documentation, but they only required our passport and AP.

I was led to believe that AP is NOT tied to EAD, but the I485 (my wife received AP without having an EAD).

I have to admit I was a bit surprised by the ease of re-entry.

I flew Virgin and re-entered at LA.

Thank U

Madscotty:

Thanks for sharing the info.,while leaving the country using AP whether we have any procedure to register with somebody ?