Full-Time and Part-Time on EAD with Pending I-485 Approval

hz4206

Registered Users (C)
Hello Folks,

Sorry for posting the same question in 3 areas. I was not sure which section to post the question, so I posted the same question in multiple areas. I am currently on my second H-1 Visa working for the GC Company full-time. My I-140 has been approved and my I-485 has been pending for over 6 months. I will be travelling abroad and I plan to re-enter the united states on my EAD. (I already have the advance parole document). I have read that once you begin work on EAD, your H-1 is no longer valid. Now for the questions:

1. Is it true that your H-1 Visa is no longer valid?
2. Once I started working on my EAD, can I work part-time at another company?
3. What documents would I need to complete?
4. What documents would the 2nd Company complete?
5. Is there even a 0.00001% chance this will effect my green card application or citizenship application down the line?
6. Once I do get my green card can I still continue to work part-time with the second company and if so, will I be working on the EAD or the Green Card?
7. If I continue to work part-time with the 2nd company after I-485 is approved, will this affect my citizenship application even though I continue work full time with the GC Company. (Intent Issue)

Thank you for all of your help.

hz4206 said:
Hello Folks,

Sorry for posting the same question in 3 areas. I was not sure which section to post the question, so I posted the same question in multiple areas. I am currently on my second H-1 Visa working for the GC Company full-time. My I-140 has been approved and my I-485 has been pending for over 6 months. I will be travelling abroad and I plan to re-enter the united states on my EAD. (I already have the advance parole document). I have read that once you begin work on EAD, your H-1 is no longer valid. Now for the questions:

1. Is it true that your H-1 Visa is no longer valid?

--> There is a general consensus that even if you use AP to enter US, if you still keep working for your H1 sponsoring employer, you can extend your H1. If you use AP to reenter, you will be a parolee and not on H1 status. To get back on H1 status, you need to depart the country and use H1 visa to get back and get H1 based I-94.

2. Once I started working on my EAD, can I work part-time at another company?

--> You can use EAD to work wherever you want.

3. What documents would I need to complete?

--> For the original company, no documents to complete. It is the company's responsibility of I-9 verification.

4. What documents would the 2nd Company complete?

--> Just show EAD and SSN card.

5. Is there even a 0.00001% chance this will effect my green card application or citizenship application down the line?

--> As long as you are working for original sponsoring employer, you should have no problems.

6. Once I do get my green card can I still continue to work part-time with the second company and if so, will I be working on the EAD or the Green Card?

--> Once you get GC, your EAD is invalid. You use GC to work.

7. If I continue to work part-time with the 2nd company after I-485 is approved, will this affect my citizenship application even though I continue work full time with the GC Company. (Intent Issue)

--> As long as you work full time for your GC company for a year or so, you should be ok with regards to intent issue.
Thank you for all of your help.