Fulbright scholarship dilemma.

Dub

Registered Users (C)
Fulbright scholarship dilemma.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I have kind of a dilemma and am wondering what to do about it..

I am married to a USC. I have recently found out that I will be getting a scholarship to study in the US (Fulbright scholarship). In order to be eligible for the scholarship, it says that neither your parents nor your children can be USCs, but it doenst say anything about spouses being USCs. I applied for it, and got accepted.

On this scholarship, most students go through an F1 visa. But, since I am married to a USC, I don;t think I can get an F1. If I apply for a GC through my spouse, will I be stripped of the scholarship? Does anyone have any idea what I should do and what the protocols are in this kind of situation?

when was the marriage? do you have plans to adjust status? i take it your spouse is with you in your country. you should be able to get the scholarship since so far you don't indicate you want to move here.

The marriage was almost two years ago. Well, my spouse and I do plan on moving to the US ultimately.

What happens if they find out that I do want to move to the US? Will they cancel the scholarship? It doesnt say anything about being married to a USC in the eligibility! Only mentions USC parents and children..why?? I was thinking of taking the scholarship, coming back to my home country after I complete my studies, stay there for two years (which is a condition when they give you the scholarship) and then move back to the US.. but now I am thinking that that is too much of a hassle..all that moving back and forth.

What happens if you study for two years, and then offer to pay the money back and not go back to the home country? Do people do that? Can they? The thing with taking the scholarship is that it will help me get into a good school..they apply on your behalf to schools that you choose.

I have not made any decisions yet, I am just checking out all the options - who knows, I might just refuse the scholarship and apply for the GC through my spouse.. or if you guys think I can take it and then pay them back later on, I might think of doing that.

Please give me some suggestions, you guys. Thanks!