Frustration continues after I-485 approval, getting an updated SSN

JavedG

Registered Users (C)
Ok, so here I am again loosing my sleep over this issue, dealing with another U.S government office. I got my passort stamped after I-485 approval on Friday. I went to a nearby SSA office to get the restriction "Not Valid For Employment" removed by getting a replacement card. The lady was way too rude. We arived in the office close to 4:00pm which is I guess their closing time. She said it is too late to check with INS whether the information I had provided was correct or not. They will do it on Monday and if they have to, they will mail the application to INS for verification which could take upto 2 months. I asked what will deterime whether she "had to" send the application to INS for verification and she said she cannot answer to that. She took my original card, which I don\'t even have a copy of. Here is a list of my concerns:

- I don\'t have a SSN card on me now

- My old number is linked with my payrol, my bank account, my everything. I hope they don\'t, out of blues, issue a new number all 2gether. If they do, I am screwed. I have more than 100 grands in last several years piled up as my social security taxes.

- I have my tax refund papers ready to go but I am not sure if I should wait till I get the card.

- Am I still eligible to continue to work while having no physical posession of the SS card?

Any clues?

Don\'t worry, you\'re OK. Procedure you described is normal.

They will not change the number itself, just the paper card. It usually takes them couple weeks to check everything and mail new card to you.

Don\'t worry they will issue new one

Javed, By default they will not change your SSN. However, you do have an option to request changed one.. (particularly helpful if you think your identity is being stolen)

I am not lawyer but had lost SSN in the past and got replacement in about 4 weeks.

SashaTanya

why you need a new SSN

I am not quite understand why you need to get involve this trouble. I don\'t remember who had ever check this card (usually you just fill this number, other people can check it anyway). By the way, you are not a US citizen, you still need INS authriozation (before is H-1 card, now it is Green card, or "the stamp"). I don\'t think you should get a new card. You just find a trouble for yourself.

They will not issue a new SSN. SSN will remain the same except that u\'ll get a new card..

I don\'t even understand why you have to go SSN office? Can\'t you do it by fax or mail? JavedG, you

No Title

Are we so used to having issues with these agencies that we\'re creating problems out of nothing. What\'s next ? Will somebody find a way not to have their Driver\'s Licence renewed at DOT ??

I think your just kidding

JavedG,

I think your just kidding. When your SSN says ‘NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT’, then how can you work? How did you become an employee? Please let us know if have any secret way of working. When you come on H1/L1 visa there will not be any such restriction.
For your information I will give my example about SSN conversion. My wife was on H4, she had SSN with ‘NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT’. She got her EAD recently and we went to SSN office to convert the SSN to ‘VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT’. We filled the form SS-5 with box 2 checked for the the Item # 3. The counter clerk looked into my wife’s EAD, she took my wife’s SSN card and gave us a receipt. Within 7 days we received a new card with same old number.
I think you posted some posting immediately after Sep 11 for publicity sake. Did you remember?

NKRaman

I came to the U.S as a student, on F1 visa in 94. Applied for SSN and I got the card with "Not Valid For Employment" restriction.

I got H1 in 97. I could have got the card replaced at that time but I never bothered to do so. My GC process started in later years and I receieved EAD. I still never bothered to replace the SS Card, with the restriction removed. I heard that I didn\'t really have to do it as long as I had the INS approval to work.

Now, that I have the GC (stamp only for now), I thought it was time to get a new card.

End of the story!

I don\'t remember starting any thread for "publicity sake".

doesn\'t matter

I don\'t think you can come to work just use this SSN card ( correct me if I am worng).
You need other authorizaton evidence anyway no matter what kind of SSN card you use, from this point of the view, it doesn\'t matter you change it or not, it is just a number.
I really have no any experiences that the employeer try to check my SSN card (just fill out, they can use it to find the place to check your background), but they want my H-1, EAD, or Green card anyway.

So, don\'t worry too much about this (but take out that phrase from SSN will definitely make people feel better).

Just wanted to update you guys that both my wife and I received our new SS cards today!