frustrated

slim_ting23

Registered Users (C)
Hey Guys. I've entered the US on F1 Visa but never went to college because of financial problems with my sponsor. At the same time my home country was politically unstable and I didn't want to go back. I came in 2002. Hence my status was violated. Right now I want to apply for Asylum status. What chances do you think I have? I really don't want to live like this no more. I can't leave the US right now because I won't be allowed to Re-enter !! I'm 23. I Need some valuable advice to adjust my status. Please help !!!

If your school still keeps you on a valid I-20, then you have nothing to loose - you could defenitely apply for asylum. (1 year rule doesn't apply to a person who is here legally). In case you'll be denied, they wouldn't be able to refer you to the departation court.

If you are off I-20 (meaning u r illegally in the States), technicaly speaking you wouldn't be able even to apply for an asylum, since it's restricted to 1 year after last entry. There is a special provision though which would alow you to apply even after 1 year, and this is as follows: If the conditions in your native has changed drastically within your stay here, or if there has been other serious circumstances. For that you would need the advice of a lawyer. Also, if you are off I-20, there would much bigger risk involved- if you would be denied, you will be immediately refferd to departation court proceedings. Then you would have to pray for a decent judge to grant you the asylum - because if he is a jerk - you will be deported. (Yet there are tons of people who are reffered to a court and are getting asylum!)

You would really need to retain a lawyer, since it's no joke business - it's sort of speak once a life chance. You would also need smb in your native country to get you all the supporting documentation for your case (let's say you've been beaten up - so get a police report, paper from a doctor, evidence from your neighbour, letter to the hospital from your grandmother etc)

Anyways, Good Luck to you!