Frequent Travel & Work in Canada? Any Problem for Citizenship?

SuC

Registered Users (C)
For me, citizenship still 4 years to go. I'm thinking it might be better to plan ahead.

If I pass a license test next year, I will have very good job opportunity in Canada, that I can work 2 to 3 days a week, while at the same time, I'll still work in US. I will live in US, and drive to Canada to work, stay a couple of nights in that country at friend's place, and come back and work for the rest of the week.

So in general, I'll meet the residency requirement for citizenship. Will my frequent travel and work in Canada affect the citizenship application?

I'm not sure, but it'll sure make for a very long N-400 application. You'll have to list all the trips of more than 24 hours, which in your case it would be more than 50 such trips per year, so approximately over 200. Definitely the IO will be at least surprised. If you are still preserving your main residence in the US and some work in the US, that should work to your advantage. You'll have to work the numbers in terms of physical presence in the US, but I think you'll be fine on that. Some people will argue about continuous residence, and that's what's not entirely clear. I think you should be fine as you are keeping the trips short and the residence and work in the US. My take is that you'll most likely be fine.

For me, citizenship still 4 years to go. I'm thinking it might be better to plan ahead.

If I pass a license test next year, I will have very good job opportunity in Canada, that I can work 2 to 3 days a week, while at the same time, I'll still work in US. I will live in US, and drive to Canada to work, stay a couple of nights in that country at friend's place, and come back and work for the rest of the week.

So in general, I'll meet the residency requirement for citizenship. Will my frequent travel and work in Canada affect the citizenship application?

I am not so sure whether it will be a very smooth process for you. On paper you may not really violate any conditions. However, with so many trips abroad the continuous residency intent could be in question even if we assume you spend 200-250 days a year in the US. However in the end you are quite likely to win the battle if you execute the plan well.

Make sure to maintain residence here. Also file all taxes appropriately as a residence disclosing your worldwide income etc. Not to mention bank acconuts, utilities, insurance, leases etc. here in the US (example sometimes it can get tricky if you share an apartment with a roommate). If you have family/children, I am assuming they would live/be/go to school in the US?

In the worst case you probably have spent less than a year or so on PR; so its not that you are losing a lot in terms of time already spent (I would be a little hesitant if 3 to 4 years had already been spent on PR). No harm trying for a couple of years if the offer is so lucrative. All the best.