FP question - Identification docs to be taken.

illusion

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends,

I have a question about the sources of Identification I need to take for FP.

We( my husband and I ) got our FP notice and it is scheduled for 2nd Dec.
We have already got our EAD\'s

My concern here is.

Since I came to US on H1 before my marriage , I have my passport and driver\'s license with my maiden name on it. I did not change the name on my passport after marriage.We filed for I-485 with my new last name as I wanted my GC with my new last name.

My EAD has been approved and the card has my new last name.
- Now when I go for FP can I just show my EAD as one source of proof and my passport(with my maiden name) and my marriage certificate as another ?

Also, I understand that I can get my name changed at the Indian consulate here in US, but I do not wish to do that now, as I still have my H1 valid for another 4 years and wish to use it instead of EAD.

Answers appreciated.

No Title

A Tricky puzzle...
You are effectively saying that you do not have any identification like Driver\'s licence or a passport which can speak of your new last name. I feel you should talk to your attorney and find out if a marriage certificate will bridge the gap.

Thanks

No Title

Thanx for your reply.

I do have my EAD with my new name and it was issued with the marriage certificate as proof.

When I filed for I-485 I gave all my transcripts, passport copy, original H1 approval and employment letter with my old name on it.
And on the 485 form I gave my name and new last name ( husband\'s last name). In the biographic info form - I had given my maiden name in the column that said ( any other names used ) and copy of marriage certificate as proof.

No Title

iilusion,
When i went for FP, they asked me my EAD card and Fp appointment card!!!!.I think u are worrying over nothing!!!.
When I went for FP In NC , they had a quick look at my fingers and then asked for EAD card and then I was asked to print my name and sign it.
FP is a very routine procedure to check ur criminal background.

Thats all u need.

No Title

Illusion,

I don\'t understand why you used your new name with out changing maiden name legally? Here is our situation.
After our marriage in Jan 2000, my spouse changed her name legally on her passport somewhere in April 2000.
(b4 that we had applied for 485 with her maiden name as dates were current and we were in hurry) . Then our H1
was getting over in Aug, so we had to send our passports for stamping at Washington DC.
Well, we received the EAD somewhere in Sep. As we had no passports, Social Security officer refused to recognize her
new name when we applied for her SS( though we showed her marriage certificate and notarized affidavit). Meanwhile we got FP
 notice (our 485 has been filed from VSC though we are located at California at this time). Luckily just before FP date, we
received our passports too. The FP notice mentions that they would accept INS issued Photo id , but surprisingly they asked us
one more photo id, either California photo id or Passport.

Now that our passports are back, we have just submitted a request to change her maiden name to married name on
Social Security. As of immigration process, we are not bothered about the name. Our lawyer says she
can legally use either of the name and we can change to married name on GC at our leisure. The bottom line, one shouldn\'t
use married name for legal purpose unless its been legally changed. After all, there is no law that requires that one must
change name after marriage. Hope this helps.

MG

No Title

1. Original copy of FP
2. Photo identification
3. Aliean registration card???? (this I got it confirmed from this forum it is our I-94)

If u had got your EAD , u can take along with u , Mine EAD got approved but still I haven\'t received yet.

Thanks