• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Foreign state changeability issue

For DV, country of chargeability (country of birth) determines whether you are eligible, because people chargeable to certain countries are not eligible for DV. (For some other immigration categories, country of chargeability determines wait times for visa number to become available, due to the 7% per country cap, which is based on country of chargeability.)

You are eligible for DV. Actually, you would be eligible for DV no matter if you were chargeable to Iran or Kuwait, as neither of them have high rates of immigration to the US. BUT, being eligible for DV doesn't mean you can get the actual immigrant visa. The travel ban prevents people on certain passports from getting visas to the US. In this case, Iranian nationals are not eligible for an immigrant visa, unless you have a passport from a non-banned country, or you fall into one of the other exceptions (e.g. if you were already in the US when the ban took effect).
thank you so much for your clear answer ..i got it now :)

Hm, I always make the mistake of thinking people read (and remember) the instructions/FAQs when they enter DV.

it says https://travel.state.gov/content/da...Translations/DV-2020-Instructions-English.pdf

35. As a DV applicant, can I receive a waiver of any grounds of visa ineligibility? Does my waiver application receive any special processing?
DV applicants are subject to all grounds of ineligibility for immigrant visas specified in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). There are no special provisions for the waiver of any ground of visa ineligibility aside from those ordinarily provided in the INA, nor is there special processing for waiver requests. Some general waiver provisions for people with close relatives who are U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Resident aliens may be available to DV applicants in some cases, but the time constraints in the DV program may make it difficult for applicants to benefit from such provisions.