For people thinking of moving back to India after getting US citizenship ...

pjosh

Registered Users (C)
Few people are thinking of moving back to India after getting US citizenship( I might be one of them). I have few Q for them ( and Other experts ) :

1) Laws : If you get involve in some kind of illegal activity or citation while in India, then what happens being an US citizen staying overseas? Do Indian laws apply or US laws? You go in US court or Indian court?

2) Taxes: I know that being US citizen , you have to file US taxes. But what taxes ? If you stay overseas, What taxes you will have to pay(or have to Consider) ? Federal , Social Security, Medicare, State, City, Local ??

Do you need to apply for Indian Tax ID while working there? Is Indian Tax structure is same for citizens and non-citizens?

3) Driving in India : Do you need Indian Driving License ? Being US citizen would you get that ? What driving laws apply on you?

4) Income and finances: If you earn ( or save) e.g. 5 lakhs Rupees per year , and you decide to come back after
5 years . And if your saving and assets are like 25 lakhs cash and @ 50 lakhs from selling your property there , How would you bring that money ? How would you convert your money to dollars? Is there any limit ( per year or so) ?
How can you keep your money in Indian banks while working there ? In rupees or Dollars?

5) In what cases do you need to report US embassy there ?

Thx in advance

Interesting questions... If you dont get any response here, you may also want to post this question in the India Dual Citizenship mega thread - which is always on the first page of this forum. I'm sure at least half your questions will be answered, if not all.

Indian laws apply. You can inform US embassy and they can provide counsel and may be present on court hearings. You go to Indian court the same way Indian citizen goes to US court and US laws apply.
You pay taxes in India and US. There are some good tax professionals who will guide you. If you are earning in India you need to get tax ID. I believe United Nations is an expert in this area so look for his contact info on the forums
I think you need Indian driving license or at least an international license. Not sure though but if I were you would not drive with a US license- sure recipe for harrasment and ripe for being asked for money by traffic cops. India n driving laws apply to you. When in India Indian laws and regulation, when in US - US rules and regulations. Being a US citizen does not confer any special status to you in India even though many of the ex Indians current USC living in India feel that they are entitled to a different status.
You can buy/ sell property except agriculatural land and can bring the amount back. How much go to the Reserve Bank of India site and that should have some details.
It is advised that if you are going to be in India for months or longer register with the US embassy closest to your home. They will provide you with contact inof in case you need them emergently. Go to US embassy website in India and you will get answers.
SOme embassies provide info on tax information etc and you can file taxes at the embassy.