for hadron

msskd

Registered Users (C)
hi
can u please tell me that do i need an e.a.d for an employment without being paid? presently i am on j2 visa?i have applied for some research work at an institute they can give me job for research but cant pay me anything to which i have agreed but i am not clear abu e.a.d.please reply if u have any info in this regards.i'll be thankfull.

EAD from J2 is like any other work permit

msskd said:
hi
can u please tell me that do i need an e.a.d for an employment without being paid? presently i am on j2 visa?i have applied for some research work at an institute they can give me job for research but cant pay me anything to which i have agreed but i am not clear abu e.a.d.please reply if u have any info in this regards.i'll be thankfull.
J2 is eligible to get an EAD as long as the income of J2 is not used to support J1 (salary of J2 may be higher than J1's salary). EAD from J2 is like any other work permit. you may work wherever you want.

J2 for volunteer work ...

msskd said:
hi
addendum ... To do studies or volunteer work, J2 does not need a work permit or any other visa. But if it involves payment, then J2 needs to apply for EAD and work on that.

> Also, you can not do volunteer work if that same job would be
> a paid one for an American.

Difficult area. I guess you could make that argument for any type of fulltime 'work'. While I don't think that the goverment would ever investigate this, but as the OP is talking about an unpaid 'job' in a research lab, I would get an EAD to be on the safe side.

You can either spend $300, talk to an attorney and then apply for an EAD or you can spend $175, apply for the EAD yourself. Download form I765 from the USCIS website and go through the instructions. I am not sure what category the J2 EAD falls under, but with some reading you can figure out yourself what documents to submit. Once you have the EAD, you could even take up a paying research gig on short notice if one happened to come your way (or work at the 7-11 if you care to).

Seriously. Anything people including myself tell you here is coming from amateurs in this arena. If you want a half-way official answer, talk to an attorney.

i guess it cld be of help

hi ,i confirmed it wt uscis office personnaly and they say they u dont need to have e.a.d for an unpaid job . i just shared it ,it cld be of some help to someone. :) :)