For an Australian Greencard

SVR95

Hi,

I am an H1-B Software Professional in USA. My company has started my green card process. It’s just in the very first stage. They will be filing for the labor-certification process soon. Parallel, I also want to apply for Australian green card since I have my family in Australia. Will you please advise me if I apply for Australian Green card when there is a petition in INS here for my US Green card? What I am trying to make sure is if there is any kind of restriction under which I cannot file an application for Australian green card if I want to apply for a US green card?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Ann

Originally posted by SVR95
Hi,

I am an H1-B Software Professional in USA. My company has started my green card process. It’s just in the very first stage. They will be filing for the labor-certification process soon. Parallel, I also want to apply for Australian green card since I have my family in Australia. Will you please advise me if I apply for Australian Green card when there is a petition in INS here for my US Green card? What I am trying to make sure is if there is any kind of restriction under which I cannot file an application for Australian green card if I want to apply for a US green card?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Ann
There are no restrictions whatsoever if you apply for both. Many people apply for green card in 2 countries, more commonly Canada and US. The only issue is that at some point of time you will have to give up one of the two green cards since you cannot be permanently resident in two places at once! I am not sure what the residency requirements are for Australia but I am pretty sure that you will have to be resident there to maintain that status.

In Australia, equivalent to Green Card is called "Permanent Resident". Once you get the "PR", you can can keep it upto 5 years with multiple entries, however, during the five years, you have to stay for at least 2 years (Iam not very sure of this timings).