Follow to Join

Ravibeta

Registered Users (C)
I recently was informed of site and would like help to get some infomation.

I recently got married to my wife who is in the final stages of her green card - we got married in Sept 03 and submitted the necessary applications.

I have a I-485 receipt date of 10/03. I got my EAD in January and still waiting for my AP.

In the mean time my spouse finally got her GC approval notification on friday 2/13/03- her receipt date was 9/01.

How long will it take for me to get a approval notification. Have I filed the necessary paperwork. Will her getting her GC approved speed up my paperwork. IS this classified as Follow to join

Has your 485 been filed through her?

Meaning is your 485, Family Based and she is your sponsor? If yes, then your case is F2J. You cannot do anything to speed it up...your 485 was filed in Oct 2003...you will prolly get approved in late 2005 or 2006. You could have chosen Consular Processing instead of filing for I485, but then you would have had to go back to ur home country for an immigrant visa interview.

Also did you mean 02/13/04 for her GC approval date?

My friend you asked good quesiton but it little confusing.

let me understand what u wrote......

You both have filled 485 she filled 09/01 approved 02/13/03

you married with her 09/03 (sep 03) and then filled ur 485. that mean she got her GC and you married after her GC approved is that correct???? it looks what u wrote in dates.

Here is my thoughts .... Follow-to-Join for husband and wife usualy goes fast when marriage happend before Principal approval.... becuase she got approval and marriage was after few monhts. that mean (I am not disappointing you) the dependent have to wait few years to come to US(here) because u already here with ur wife (thats good) but unfortuantely (I believe) your path would be through 485 (that u already submitted). so there is no CP or F2J (sorry to say). but think in this way you are lucky couple who are together.... here.... and I know couples who are seperated for years and can't join their sorrow and happiness....so either his spouse/husband have to wait for 3-5 yrs to come here or

so you are lucky couple..

Here is one more example......

One of my friend (us citizen since 5 yrs) married in India/Pak and her wife came on K-2/1 visa here and when they file 485/GC they got 3yrs processing time.... so even he is Citizen of US but his wife have to wait 3yrs to get her GC...

bottom line if u married her before her approval you would have got GC with her because she is princapal and she is approved u are approvd

Got it.... so don't be disappointmed and good luck to u both.

P.O.J

Last edited by a moderator:
180Dayz - The lawyer filed a I485 a few days after we got married which was in September 03 and before she received notice of her I485 approval which was last week (Feb 13 2004). I am not sure which way the application was filed either family based or as a sponsor.

Yes I did mean 2/13/04 I485 approval date for I485 with a receipt date of 9/01

POJ

Correct - we both have filled 485 she filed 09/2001 approved 02/13/03 and I filed on 10/2003 and still waiting.

I married with her 09/03 (sep 03) and then filled I485. that means I filed before she got her i485 approved. IFiled on 10/2003, she got her approval 2/2004.

So based on your answer, does that mean I should get my GC too since I married her 5 months before she got her i485 aprroval.

You mentioned "bottom line if u married her before her approval you would have got GC with her because she is princapal and she is approved u are approvd" - does this mean I should get it too. My name is not on the approval notive - should I go with her when she takes the notice, pictures, passport etc to the center this week. Will they issue me the GC too?

What is the next stepo - do I wait for my I485 notive - how long do you think I will have to wait. I ma happy she got it - it is one hurdle over - just wondering when the next hurdle will be over.