Foia????

Want GC Soon

Registered Users (C)
Today I received a letter from INS that they would charge me if the search continues in finding my file and locating it and making copies exceeds 100 pages and I might be charged close to $25.00-$50.00 for requesting FOIA.

Is that a letter that everyone received after filing FOIA? Just wanted to confirm. Also from JK, I came to know that they usually dont charge anything for sending in this information.

Has anyone paid money so far to INS for requesting FOIA?

Do we need to call the INS and inform that we are fine with the charges and that they can process the case. They have provided a control number for this reference.

Any idea on this would be appreciated.

I'm guessing it's "freedom of information act". He must have requested information on his labor certification and/or I-140.

Man all the abbreviations and acronyms floating around here!!! :rolleyes:

USCIS would charge only if it exceeds a certain number of pages(300 or so...)That too you don’t(should not)pay in advance.
The complete instructions are available in G-639.

Want GC Soon said:
Today I received a letter from INS that they would charge me if the search continues in finding my file and locating it and making copies exceeds 100 pages and I might be charged close to $25.00-$50.00 for requesting FOIA.

Is that a letter that everyone received after filing FOIA? Just wanted to confirm. Also from JK, I came to know that they usually dont charge anything for sending in this information.

Has anyone paid money so far to INS for requesting FOIA?

Do we need to call the INS and inform that we are fine with the charges and that they can process the case. They have provided a control number for this reference.

Any idea on this would be appreciated.

Yes that is the standard letetr that I too received on filing form G-639. Basically it is restating what is written on the G-639 form. You do not have to call or anything ro confirm.
After a few days of receiving this letter I did receive the I-140 approval copies and other documents (20 pages in all), without having to pay anything.

Thankyou so much to all.

I changed to a new address, but didnt inform VSC but have given the forwarding address to the post office. If VSC is sending me the information, would it be forwarded(transferred) to my new address????

They will Farward, But

Non-Immgrants as well as Immigrants are "required" to Inform UCIS whenever they change thier Address in US. (they say within 10 days of moving). better mail them the required form.

Official letters that can/want be forwarded to a new address always have the envelopes marked as "Forwarding service requested".

All USCIS communications instruct the post office NOT to forward mail. So you will NOT receive anything from USCIS at your new address.

Filing AR-11 only fulfills the legal requirement that you inform USCIS of your current address. It does not automatically update your new address on all your pending cases. For that you must call NCSC with all your case numbers and have them update your address manually.

Hope this helps.