Foia

Kishore_l

Registered Users (C)
Hello Guys,

Can someone help me here with your experience. I have my EAC number for I140 and later my company filed for my 485 / EAD. When I requested them to provide me with EAC number for 485 / EAD, they are refusing to do so and the reason given was, I might get all information regarding my labor and 140 and can direct all future communication from INS directly to me instead of the company / lawyer. I know they are BS......but I can't do anything, if they refuse to do so.

My question is ....

Can I file FOIA with my 140 EAC number to get copy of my 485 / EAD recipt from INS ?. May be copy of my Labor and 140 too ?.

Your response is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Originally posted by Kishore_l
Hello Guys,

Can someone help me here with your experience. I have my EAC number for I140 and later my company filed for my 485 / EAD. When I requested them to provide me with EAC number for 485 / EAD, they are refusing to do so and the reason given was, I might get all information regarding my labor and 140 and can direct all future communication from INS directly to me instead of the company / lawyer. I know they are BS......but I can't do anything, if they refuse to do so.

My question is ....

Can I file FOIA with my 140 EAC number to get copy of my 485 / EAD recipt from INS ?. May be copy of my Labor and 140 too ?.

Your response is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Once you get your 140 done and 180 days of filing over for 485(if you know date), ask your lawyer directly. In 485 - you are the client and not your company - so lawyer cannot refuse you legally. For good measures - send a FAX, so that you will have prove that you requested for it.

Meanwhile find a new lawyer and prepare to authorize him on the issue of representing you with USCIS. If old lawyer refuses to give you information - put a complaint against him/her (old lawyer cannot do anything - he/she has to give info anyways) in state bar council. Authorize your new lawyer to represent you with USCIS and new lawyer should take care of issue of getting information from old lawyer.

I think even calling customer service should help, as you want to find out about your own case(you are the applicant). I am not sure about this though - post your experience if you try it.

FOIA can also be used to get such details - but only thing is that I have not read about anyone using it for 485/EAD etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jharkhandi!! for your detailed reply.

I have also searched the whole forum and I could not find any case with my requirement. Just wondering, do you have customer service number handy where I can call and check regarding my receipt number.

Also........

1. Will INS send me the copy of the notice as well or just lawyer?
2. Who will receive the EAD approval / Card..lawyer or me?

Note : In 485 / EAD application, my address has been provided in PART 1

Thanks,

Thanks Jharkhandi!! for your detailed reply.

I have also searched the whole forum and I could not find any case with my requirement. Just wondering, do you have customer service number handy where I can call and check regarding my receipt number.

Also........

1. Will INS send me the copy of the notice as well or just lawyer?
2. Who will receive the EAD approval / Card..lawyer or me?

Note : In 485 / EAD application, my address has been provided in PART 1

Thanks,

You can find customer service number on uscis website.

1. If you have filled G-28 form for 485 too then only your lawyer will recv notices not you.
2. You will recv EAD card not your lawyer.

Corrected your post for italics. :cool:

I called National Service Center @ (800) 375-5283 and spoke with one fine lady. She said, she can not provide the information over the phone , however, since i am the applicant and beneficiary I can request a copy of it from Vermont service center with all the details,

1. Like when it was applied,
2. Name, Address, Contact information
3. Company information
4. SSN
5. Lawyer information (if submitted G28)
6. Application type
7. Reason for requesting.

Address is

Attn :Director
CIS
Vermont Service Center,
75 Lower welden st,
St.Albans, Vermont - 05479.

You need not file FOIA to get this information. Just a letter with above information is sufficient and you should (??!!!) get a response within 1-2 weeks (HOPEFULLY !!!) .

if anyone has any other suggestion just to get EAC number for my 485 / EAD, please let me know.

Thanks Again!!

I called National Service Center @ (800) 375-5283 and spoke with one fine lady. She said, she can not provide the information over the phone , however, since i am the applicant and beneficiary I can request a copy of it from Vermont service center with all the details,

3. Company information
4. SSN
6. Application type

Address is

CIS
Vermont Service Center,
75 Lower welden st,

You need not file FOIA to get this information. Just a letter with above information is sufficient and you should (??!!!) get a response within 1-2 weeks (HOPEFULLY !!!) .

if anyone has any other suggestion just to get EAC number for my 485 / EAD, please let me know.

Thanks Again!!

Good one. Post your experience too.

I had called the Cusotmer Service and received the information on phone

Rules might have changed now.

Lady just asked my name and birth date and gave me the 485 receipt number.

Thanks for the info!. May be I will try to call the cusomer service and check my luck again. Will Keep you guys posted. It all depends upon timing, whom u r speaking with and ofcourse its your luck.

If the person is very experienced and knowledgeable, will go by the book (like my experience). If the person is dumb, hang up and call again, you just wasted 20 minutes of your time. Locate a person who is netiher dumb nor exprienced to get the info.

I called National Service Center and this time they transferred me to an Immigration officer @ Vermont service center.

I spoke with a very rude immigration officer , even though she did not provide me with the EAC number, she checked the status of my case by getting all my information. She also suggested to file a complaint against my attorney in the local bar council, as legally she is suppose to provide me with the Copy of all receipts pertaining to 485 / EAD / AP .

Even though officer was rude, she is certainly experienced and provided me with all the details , how to change my attorney, how to file a complaint against attorney etc.......and she also offered me to remove my attorney from any future communication list.

Guys,

If any company / attorney refuses to provide you with receipt and the reason give was "its company policy" ...........its so simple , give National Customer Service center a call and you can inform them that your attorney is no longer representing you and you can change the ownership to your name. Its that simple. If you need you can also hire a new attorney later. i am just going to "demand " my receipt from the company, if they refues, they are out of the loop.

Hope this might helps people like me.

I called National Service Center and this time they transferred me to an Immigration officer @ Vermont service center.

I spoke with a very rude immigration officer , even though she did not provide me with the EAC number, she checked the status of my case by getting all my information. She also suggested to file a complaint against my attorney in the local bar council, as legally she is suppose to provide me with the Copy of all receipts pertaining to 485 / EAD / AP .

Even though officer was rude, she is certainly experienced and provided me with all the details , how to change my attorney, how to file a complaint against attorney etc.......and she also offered me to remove my attorney from any future communication list.

Guys,

If any company / attorney refuses to provide you with receipt and the reason give was "its company policy" ...........its so simple , give National Customer Service center a call and you can inform them that your attorney is no longer representing you and you can change the ownership to your name. Its that simple. If you need you can also hire a new attorney later. i am just going to "demand " my receipt from the company, if they refues, they are out of the loop.

Hope this might helps people like me.

Good job. :cool:

Good News !!. I have recieved my EAC for my 485/EAD from INS. They infact has sent me the copy of the receipt notice for 485/EAD eactly within 3 weeks. Amazing!!. I wish they could do the same with my 140 too..........APPROVE it and send it to me!!

Bottom line, information provided in this thread ,is infact true and it works......Anyone same as my situation, follow the above steps and you will get your information.

Thanks guys, for your inputs and support.....

The lawyer gave you the receipt number for I-140 and not for I485/EAD??

We have all the numbers except for I140? Can we call the CIS and retrieve this information?

Yes you can !!. Try your luck. Even though 140 is your employer petition, since you have applied for 485/765, you can file FOIA and get all the copies of your case. They may not be sharing your company's financial statement, but anything which is specific to you will be sent to you.

Kishore_l said:

3. Company information
4. SSN
6. Application type

Address is

CIS
Vermont Service Center,
75 Lower welden st,

Thanks Again!!

It is good that you got your Receipt No. Just for the folks out there what did you say for Reason for Requesting. (i believe you didn't say Lawyer/Company refused)

Vandy said:
The lawyer gave you the receipt number for I-140 and not for I485/EAD??

We have all the numbers except for I140? Can we call the CIS and retrieve this information?

Yep . You can actually receive even the underlying Labour which was filed along with I140 ( ex:forms ETA750 A & B which might be useful when you want use Ac21).

Use FOIA. There are ppl on this forum who got that.

hmd said:
It is good that you got your Receipt No. Just for the folks out there what did you say for Reason for Requesting. (i believe you didn't say Lawyer/Company refused)
Reason for Requesting : Personal Record Keeping.