• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

First trip to the US, POE questions...

breandan

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I will be making my first trip to the US after passing my interview, and I was hoping that you could confirm a few points for me. I've searched for this information on the forums, and I would just like to confirm that the information I have is correct:

1. I do NOT complete a ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) application - this is for people visiting with the Visa waiver program, not for new immigrants.

2. On the plane, I do NOT complete the I-94 form, but I DO complete the Customs Declaration Form. My understanding is that as I'm immigrating, that I don't have to pay duty on my personal possesions.

3. When I arrive at the POE (probably Logan airport, Boston) I should join the queue for NON RESIDENTS, with my passport and envelope out. When I reach the counter (or before if they see me) they will send me to seconday processing.

4. I do NOT have to bring the Xray from the medical.

5. I do NOT have to bring any more passport photos with me; everything that they need should be in the envelope.

Do I have everything correct here? If I am missing anything please let me know. I really don't want any surprises on the day.

Thanks for your help.

Breandan.

1. I do NOT complete a ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) application - this is for people visiting with the Visa waiver program, not for new immigrants.

Correct. ESTA is not needed. (Although at checkin the airline staff might get a little excited and will probably want to see your immigrant visa.)

2. On the plane, I do NOT complete the I-94 form, but I DO complete the Customs Declaration Form. My understanding is that as I'm immigrating, that I don't have to pay duty on my personal possesions.

Correct. No I-94. Yes, fill in the customs form.

3. When I arrive at the POE (probably Logan airport, Boston) I should join the queue for NON RESIDENTS, with my passport and envelope out. When I reach the counter (or before if they see me) they will send me to seconday processing.

Someone will intercept you before you have a chance to join any queue. The first official you see at the line-up, wave your paperwork, tell them you are a new immigrant and they will make sure you get to the right place. At LAX I was fast-tracked to a regular non-resident processing counter. The officer did the initial entry work (mostly just want to know if I was alone or had other family members coming later) then directed me to walk down the gap between the queues and 30 or so counters to a separate section for processing. It all works very well (at LAX anyway.) Once the paperwork was completed (perhaps 20 mins) the officer said "Welcome to the US. You have a green card. Do anything you want!" lol.

4. I do NOT have to bring the Xray from the medical.

Assuming the rest of your health assessment is good, and you are from a country with first-world health standards, it is highly unlikely they will ask for this. Personally, I had it in my luggage but they never asked for it.

5. I do NOT have to bring any more passport photos with me; everything that they need should be in the envelope.

No. They have everything they need in the sealed envelope. You will be finger-printed again.

All the best for your new life!!