First TN seeking advice

Bell

Registered Users (C)
Dear TN's

I am attempting my first TN need good advice.
Which is better option Pearson Airport or Niagra Falls , Secondly my attempt is for Management Consultant which I guess is tough in itself.
Any inputs.
Thanks

Uhh, a little vague there Bell. Can you be more specific? What do you do for a living? What re your qualifications?

Vagueness with the TN in the Management Consultant category is the great TN killer for that category.

i say Fort Errie. the TN officer there is pretty nice and it took me not more than 20 minutes to come out with my first visa.

Hey Bell,

I have done 2 TN applications at the Fort Erie / Buffalo NY Peace Bridge POE that sshakeny has mentioned. That POE is usually pretty good. I will provide a detailed description of my 2 experiences there but it'll have to wait til I get home from work today (Possibly between 5 - 6pm EST cause I cant really provide great detail while im here at work.) In the meantime, maybe provide us with a little more details about your qualifications, education etc so we can aid you better.

Jon

Hey Bell,

I have done 2 TN applications at the Fort Erie / Buffalo NY Peace Bridge POE that sshakeny has mentioned. That POE is usually pretty good. I will provide a detailed description of my 2 experiences there but it'll have to wait til I get home from work today (Possibly between 5 - 6pm EST cause I cant really provide great detail while im here at work.) In the meantime, maybe provide us with a little more details about your qualifications, education etc so we can aid you better.

Jon
actually, the Fort Errie recommandation was confirms through a long list of immigration lawyers specializing in TN. the guys over there are nice and as long as everything is good and in order they dont give you headache for no reason.

Indeed they are pretty good over there at Peace Bridge POE.

Heres my experiences there.

First TN: Job was for Engineering Technician with a Civil Engineering firm in Pittsburgh, PA. Job was to start Monday, June 20 2005. I went down and applied for TN status the previous monday (June 13, 2005). The first border monkey (when I first drove up to the border booth) tried to intimidate me by saying "Hah, do you think you're gonna GET your TN?" to which I replied nothing.

Anywho, went into the waiting room area. Had brought with me my 3-year diploma in Transportation Engineering Technology, a certificate showing membership in Ontario for certified Engineering Technicians & Technologists, my college transcripts (sealed in an envelope), My resume, the job offer letter from the company, my passport.

Officers last name was "Tirranno" I believe. Asked me what my job duties would be, where the company HQ was (Pittsburgh), asked if anybody was in the car with me accompanying me down (to which I said no), and asked for all my proof of education, resume etc. After reviewing everything (educational stuff, job letter, resume etc) my passport was stamped and I-94 stapled into my passport. Took about 20-30 minutes to be approved and I was on my way. I should note that my TN occupation falls under "Scientific Technician (Engineering)" in the job occupation list. A NAFTA occupation that is normally scrutinized.

Only thing that sucked was that the POE was busy that day so I actually waited 3 hours before I was even called in to see the CBP officer.

Current TN: I applied for this back in July 27, 2006 with the new employer I am with now. I basically brought the exact same proofs & documents as the first time (Diploma, membership certificate, College transcripts, job offer letter etc). The TN classification I sought was the same (Scientific Technician). This time it was a different officer, not exactly the most friendly person but not a bad CBP officer either. Asked what classification I was applying for to which I replied "Scientific Technician". He then reviewed my job offer letter and looked at my diploma, membership certificate etc. Was not interested in my resume.

There was a slight error in my job letter. The officer said "I can't approve this TN right now. How do I know your supervisor is an Engineer? To be approved as a Scientific Technician, you must work under the direct supervision of an Engineer. You need to reword the letter to state that you will be working directly under the Engineer and provide to me a copy of his engineers license (P.E. license). I told him I could call my supervisor right now and the CBP officer said "what woul dthat do? WOuld he be able to fix this right this moment?" and I said that I could try to see if he can. CBP officer said "Call him and have him fax us a reworded letter saying you will be working under him, and to provide us a copy of his Engineers license. Once I get all that faxed I will call you back in". The CBP officer provided me with the Peace Bridge POE fax# to fax the new letter and license copy.

He kept all the paperwork, put it aside, and I was back in the waiting room calling my boss who eventually faxed the corrected letter and engineers license copy and I was called back in by the same officer. Looked over everything again and said "ok, everything looks good". Asked me the following questions:

CBP: "Have you ever lived in the U.S before?"
ME: "Yes"

CBP: "What did you do to the I-94?"
ME: "I sumitted it to the Canadian Officials on the way out?"

CBP: "When was that?"
ME: "End of May 2006, I don't remember the exact date"
CBP: "Ok, thank you".

Got my passport stamped with the new TN, paperclipped an I-94 inside my passport and I was on my way. I applied for this TN a little closer to my start date, about 4 or 5 days before I had to start work.

Sorry for going on and on, I hope this provides some glimpse as to the folks over at Fort Erie / Buffalo NY POE.

Canadian John

Thanks To All

Thanks a lot guys I am attempting Management Consultant position with a Newyork Co in Import and Exports.
I myself had my own Export Company for 15 years as well I was in Logistics Sales etc.
I have Bachelor Degree in Business Administration and Diplomas in Marketing and Sales which I got evaluated from Trust Forte Corp of Newyork.
What are my chances :confused:

Sorry Bell, but you're still way too vague. What will you be doing? What have you done in the past? Don't take this the wrong wy, but when I look at what you posted, I figured you were a sales guy for FEDEX or UPS.