Fired one month before GC approval

avl252002

Guys, could you suggest what to do in my situation:

I expect to get my GC approval very soon, maybe this October (my RD is October 2001). Today I got a termination notice from my company. I was sitting on bench for two months and now they want to get rid of me. I could use my EAD and job portability clause of AC21 to find another job. But it takes time and it is unlikely that I will find a job by the time of GC interview. Not having a job looks like a good reason for denial of AOS application.

Does anybody have similar experiences?

Appreciate any help,
Andrey

Sorry to hear this. How do u know that you will get interview? Try to get job immediately. I know this will be easy to say. If any of your friends having their own company try to get a future employment letter from them. That will be enough for you to show during stamping if they asked. Talk with your company to spread the remaining salary over two months period. So that you will have pay stubs in case if you get any RFE. This is just my opinion. Consult with others also.

Sorry to hear your story. Well another option if possible is that talk to your current company and tell them they you could give them in writing that you are going for an unpaid vacation and so don't remove you from the payroll untill your GC is approved. This way your problem of maintaing status and job could be resolved. Also try to get an employment letter from them which tell them that you could use it solely for GC purpose.

Best luck.
udp.

There is no way INS knows about your termination...

Unless your Company and the Lawyers office let know the INS of the current status of yours.

You have to find a job to survive anyway.

Unless a RFE is issued you are in the "Safe Zone".

Meanwhile wait for the Approval.

Finding a job should be your first priority for the present.

hey..why were u so lazy?

when u were on bench for two months, you could have started applying and found the job and getting your first paycheck now...
You must be very well knowing that AC21 clause is apt for such scenarios..Good luck..I don't believe in splitting the paystubs etc.,My only suggestion is to get a job ASAP..

In similar situation ..

Hi avl252002,

You are not alone. I am in very similar situation. On bench
for past two months. Will be terminated soon. RD is Oct/2001.
Trying to find a job for the past two months. But the market
is very tight. Planning to get hold of a desi employer to give
me a letter in case of an RFE or interview.

PG.

Action item

1. Start looking for job ASAP.
2. Talk to your current employer to put you on Leave without pay and not terminate. They may have some inherent cost to keep you on payroll even without pay, you may offer to pay them that cost to save your GC.
3. Talk to some friendly company owner to give you a job offer letter to be used only for INS purpose.

So don't panic. Chances to get RFE is say 10% otherwise your GC is safe. But be prepared for any situation.

Roran

Roran,

From your several posts, I understand you are really really confident in getting jobs. In fact, you got a number of jobs in this tough job market too.

Just curious, what are your skill sets ? I believe that would be a valuable information to many members in this board.

Thanks in advance.

:confused:

I agree too.
Finding a job in this market is not easy at all. Doesnt matter what your skill sets are. You might have the latest/greatest skill sets but still not land on a job. I have freinds with years of experience in most sought after skills but unemployed for the last 4 monhts.

But for the original issue: Not everyone gets RFE's. Not everyone gets Interviews. Try to get a job even at those tech-temp agencies.. Just ' Do your thing' and the rest is just ' mere' future that you have no control of

I agree too.
Finding a job in this market is not easy at all. Doesnt matter what your skill sets are. You might have the latest/greatest skill sets but still not land on a job. I have freinds with years of experience in most sought after skills but unemployed for the last 4 monhts.

But for the original issue: Not everyone gets RFE's. Not everyone gets Interviews. Try to get a job even at those tech-temp agencies.. Just ' Do your thing' and the rest is just ' mere' future that you have no control of

i did not mean to hurt anybody's feelings..

and I am also not a proud person. I just try to take precautions before the reality sinks in. I am sorry if i had hurt anyone. I somehow had this feeling after i wrote that reply in this thread.

The job market is indeed very bad and that is why i insist to give two months to get a job, leave alone getting the right one. People got to understand that it is from our own abiltiy to find a job and INS is not going to be sympathetic towrads a person in this bad economy. Again, I do not work in the latest skills in Computer Industry. I basically work in Software on the financial applications side. I was working on a project right from analysis till implementation and support for a while , after which the project got over. Everone knows that most of the companies are not venturing into new projects. My best advise is to take up a job which is either development or support in this market conditions. I once again feel sorry if I have hurt anyone.

After all this, if you had asked that question genuinely and not as a pun, I would like to say that I work on C++,C,SYBASE, UNIX and NT.

Roran

Thanks for your post. I believe you encourage people to act. It is really good. Why are you so defensive ? Take it as compliment, please.

Last edited by a moderator: