• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Filling in DS-230 form question.

Powka

Registered Users (C)
Hey,

Congrats to everyone who won!!

I've got a serious question and hope that someone might help me out here.

In DS-230 form that you are suppose to send out straight after getting picked, there are two fields where they ask about "Where and who are you going to stay with when you arrive to US" and the other one "What's the address we should send the Green Card to in US".

So the question is, my plans are going to Los Angeles. I've got enough money to rent a cheap motel or whatever for a few weeks till I find a proper place to live, then find work. So the money is not an issue. But I don't have ANYONE I know in Los Angeles, so what do you suggest I can do? Is there any way I can not fill in these fields now, and just mention my situation during the interview? Will it hinder the possibility for me to get the Visa?

As a last resort, I can ask people of my friends' friends' (something) who live somewhere in Boston, if they can receive Green Card for me, and then send it to me by post to LA. But can I say I'm going to Boston, even though I'm planning on going to LA straight away?

Thanks big time fellas!!

Hi Powka!

Firstly, congratulations on your big win!!

With regards to your questions in relation to filling in questions 10 & 11 of the DS-230 Part I (the USA address section) - Question 10 is not essential as it would be rare for most people to know the exact address of where they plan to live when relocating at this early stage of the process. However, in saying that, don't leave the box empty - a simple TBA (to be advised) or TBC (to be confirmed) should suffice.

Question 11 however is a different situation altogether. Question 11, which states: Address in the United States where you want your Permanent
Resident Card (Green Card) mailed, if different from address in item #10
must be filled out with a United States mailing address. Once the application process and interview are complete your Green Card can only be mailed to a current USA address. I know it's difficult, especially if you do not know anyone in the USA but it is essential that you do not leave this box blank.

I am in a similar situation to you. In terms of knowing someone I can really trust with the arrival of my green card, I don't really know anyone. However I would suggest possibly taking the route of signing up with a mail forwarding service. I, myself, have been using MyUS.com for several years to order packages from the US. With this service I have my own USA address, in my own name, and it is not a PO Box. Once mail arrives at my MyUS.com suite I am notified by email and can see the item online. I can then choose to have it forwarded to my Australian address. I have engaged in numerous transactions with MyUS.com and their service is superb. That is the avenue I'm taking. On a side note, be aware that whatever state you have listed as your permanent address is the state you have to apply for your SSN. Something to think about!

I hope this helps.

leashsmg, thanks big time for this valuable information, that definitely did help a bunch!

I think I have sorted out my situation with someone receiving the Green Card for me, as I have found some friends who wouldn't mind sending it to me after they receive it (that way I don't have to travel all the way to New Jersey, because I'm planning on staying in Los Angeles). The advice on using mail forwarding is great, and if that doesn't work out, I will definitely try this, and in any case, I will suggest it to other people who might get into same situation as me and you.

On the other note, I was kind of calm, until I've red this statement of yours: "On a side note, be aware that whatever state you have listed as your permanent address is the state you have to apply for your SSN," lol. Can you explain this to me? I will not fill in the first address question - number 10 - I'll just put it TBC, as you suggested. Then, for the question number 11, which is asking for the address where to send the GC to, I'm going to put my friends New Jersey address, as I mentioned above. Although, I am not planning on going to New Jersey (probably never ever in my life), as I'm going straight to Los Angeles, and I will be waiting for him to mail me the GC by US post. So, the question is - would that be a problem? I mean, GC being mailed to New Jersey, and I'm staying in Los Angeles, and obviously applying for SSN in Los Angeles as well?

Thanks man! I'd shake your hand if I could.

I was just re-reading some posts from DV-2011 and one Australian applicant put N/A in the boxes for both questions 10 & 11 when submitting the initial DS-230 and waited until the interview to advise them of both addresses. This didn't seem to pose any sort of problem at all and the person was successful.

At this stage I am writing TBC for question 10, as I stated, but using my MyUs.com address for question 11 (this is a Florida based address).

Don't worry at this stage about the SSN - just make sure when you get to question 43a on Part II of DS-230 that you check the "YES" box for the following: Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you a SSN and issue a card? It will save you any headaches when applying for your SSN.

As far as I'm aware, your permanent address in the USA is related to the state in which you can apply for your SSN but since you are leaving this box blank for now you have nothing to worry about. I was just giving you a heads up for when you do advise the DOS of your intended permanent address (usually at the interview stage). In saying that however, I don't think you will come up against any hurdles if you are checking the "YES" box for question 43a! It should all be automatic.

Hi again Powka,

With regards to the SSN you won't need to worry about anything as long as you check "YES" to questions 43a & 43b on Part II of the DS-230. The DOS will automatically send you out your SSN to the same address as your green card was sent.

You will find all the information you need on the following website:

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/

So in conclusion:

DS-230 Part I - Question 10: N/A or TBC will suffice at this stage

DS-230 Part I - Question 11: N/A should suffice according to another member on here but I would recommend signing up for a mail forwarding service that you can trust such as MyUs.com. List the address and both your green card and SSN will be mailed to this address.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all
Congrats to all winners and all the best with the visa process.
I have few silly questions.......
Since we all had to check our status online and download these forms I assume we can send them asap. or do we have to wait till KCC sends a mail notification?
DO I fill these two forms in BLACK ink or Blue ink?
DO I write the details in CAPS or normal case?
or is it better I fill in the details in the pdf file itself and print it.

Also do we send these forms and photos by courier? or registered mail? or normal mail?
Awaiting ur responses.
Thanks..

Hi all
Congrats to all winners and all the best with the visa process.
I have few silly questions.......
Since we all had to check our status online and download these forms I assume we can send them asap. or do we have to wait till KCC sends a mail notification?
DO I fill these two forms in BLACK ink or Blue ink?
DO I write the details in CAPS or normal case?
or is it better I fill in the details in the pdf file itself and print it.

Also do we send these forms and photos by courier? or registered mail? or normal mail?
Awaiting ur responses.
Thanks..

Hi Marshall II

In answer to your questions:

1. The KCC will not be sending any correspondence this year so do not wait for mail as none will be arriving. You may print and return the required paperwork to the KCC as listed in the online instructions as soon as you are able.

2. Use Black ink

3. Use CAPS if filling in by hand otherwise fill in the PDF as a typed document in capital letters (preferred)

4. You can send the forms using any method of post you choose however I would strongly recommend a trackable express service (courier). It may cost you extra however due to the importance of these documents I don't think you can really put a price on being able to track the documents all the way to the destination. It is however up to you.

I hope this helps.

Well, put the name of anyone you know I usa, once there, nothing stop you from going wherever you want, the man in the DV video clearely said that once you pass the homland security, you are on your own
Hey,

Congrats to everyone who won!!

I've got a serious question and hope that someone might help me out here.

In DS-230 form that you are suppose to send out straight after getting picked, there are two fields where they ask about "Where and who are you going to stay with when you arrive to US" and the other one "What's the address we should send the Green Card to in US".

So the question is, my plans are going to Los Angeles. I've got enough money to rent a cheap motel or whatever for a few weeks till I find a proper place to live, then find work. So the money is not an issue. But I don't have ANYONE I know in Los Angeles, so what do you suggest I can do? Is there any way I can not fill in these fields now, and just mention my situation during the interview? Will it hinder the possibility for me to get the Visa?

As a last resort, I can ask people of my friends' friends' (something) who live somewhere in Boston, if they can receive Green Card for me, and then send it to me by post to LA. But can I say I'm going to Boston, even though I'm planning on going to LA straight away?

Thanks big time fellas!!

Dear leahsmg

Nice Day
you ensure that the person who wrote in DS230 - Q10,Q11 N/A
was successful
because i wrote N/A and think the forms will comeback ? pls confirm ?
second today i got mail address ( street ,..) from one USA service , they will forward any mail with fees
Who can confirm that way is work properly ?
Thanks

Hey

Few questions about filling the forms
A) have you filled ongoing studies and employment to list also with not "ending date" ?
B) where I can see the fees which need to be payed at embassy? and do I have to pay even IF I fail in then interview?
C) in the section 29. do I list step children also?
D) what about the interview, do I need to have job at US already at that point or proof of the money 125% over poverty limits?
Thanks!

Hi leahsmg

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will be sending in the forms by this evening through an express courier.

All the best with your visa.
Regds
Marshall II

Dear leahsmg

Nice Day
you ensure that the person who wrote in DS230 - Q10,Q11 N/A
was successful
because i wrote N/A and think the forms will comeback ? pls confirm ?
second today i got mail address ( street ,..) from one USA service , they will forward any mail with fees
Who can confirm that way is work properly ?
Thanks

Hi Tomycool,

Congratulations on your win!

I would like to say that I never ensured that writing N/A for Q10 & Q11 on the DS-230 was the correct option, in fact I advised against it. I only offered up information written to me from another forum member that was successful even though they wrote N/A for Q10 & 11.

You shouldn't have a problem writing N/A for Q10 at this early stage because most will not know what the address of their residence will be when they relocate, however you definitely do need to provide a USA postal address for the DOS to mail your green card. Some have said that writing N/A for Q11 now is fine as long as you can provide a mailing address at your interview, however, I did advise others against this if possible and said that an option would be to register with a mail forwarding service.

On my DS-230 which I have submitted I wrote the following:

Q10 - "To be advised"
Q11 - I provided my MyUS.com mail forwarding address (I have been a member of MyUs for 2 years now and their service is fantastic. My mail is sent to an address in Florida and then forwarded to me in Australia for a fee depending on the size and weight of the package. I have never had a problem as this is a reputable company. I can not speak for any other forwarding services as that is the only one I have had experience with.)

Hi all
Do we have to write the case number in the upper right hand corner of the forms as well?
The website says that all documents and correspondence to KCC should have the case number on the upper right hand corner. Does this also apply to the ds230 and dsp 122 forms?