Filing N-400; Wife on F-1 filing for OPT

AsyleeTravel

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I am ready to file for my N-400 and had a question about my wife (since form asks for detailed info on her status etc). She is on a F-1 and is going to be filing for OPT (Optional Practical Training for 1 yr) next month. Is there any chance that her OPT could get denied since her info is on my citizenship application (even though I haven't filed anything for her and thus she is a non-immigrant?)

Also, what is the A# for a F-1 ? Any ideas?

Thanks for the wonderful help as always!

F-1's don't get an A# until their OPT is approved. So put N/A if you apply before she gets the OPT.

Don't know whether her OPT would be denied, but she could definitely have problems if she left the country and tried to reenter.

Her OPT can not be denied. However if she leaves the US, and comes back without a job letter in hand while on OPT she will be denied entry. Additionally there is risk of being admitted in general because while on F1 she needs to show "non-immigrant intent", which by the nature of her relationship to a permanent resident she can't show. She should not leave the country until you are naturalized and she has advance parole.

Hope you don't get stuck in name check!
Good luck.

Hi all,

I am ready to file for my N-400 and had a question about my wife (since form asks for detailed info on her status etc). She is on a F-1 and is going to be filing for OPT (Optional Practical Training for 1 yr) next month. Is there any chance that her OPT could get denied since her info is on my citizenship application (even though I haven't filed anything for her and thus she is a non-immigrant?)

Also, what is the A# for a F-1 ? Any ideas?

Thanks for the wonderful help as always!

Agree with brb2

Her OPT can not be denied. However if she leaves the US, and comes back without a job letter in hand while on OPT she will be denied entry. Additionally there is risk of being admitted in general because while on F1 she needs to show "non-immigrant intent", which by the nature of her relationship to a permanent resident she can't show. She should not leave the country until you are naturalized and she has advance parole.

Hope you don't get stuck in name check!
Good luck.

brb2 is right. Keep in mind that OPT is nothing but simply an authorization to work legally here in US. It's not a travel document. I am sure it says somehwhere on the back of the card if you take a close look at it. It does not guarantee you entrance into US. You need to obtain a visa something like that. I had one back in 97.