Filing I-485 less than 180 days and have EAD card, will be laidoff, can I use my EAD card to looking

jfuture_99

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

I have a very ugly situation. I filed my I-485 this Feb(02/2001)and have EAD card. Also I am still on my H-1B. I might be laidoff by my company soon. My question is: can I use my EAD card to get a new job? And then transfer back to H-1B later? Any experiience sharing will be great appreciated.

jf

No Title

You can use your EAD to look for a job. Also if you have valid H1 period apply for a new H1 and then you can use old priority date for the the new application. Try to see if your company can atleast keep you on payroll(if not paid) until you complete 6 months on your current EAD i.e., until Aug,2001 and then you can just continue processing with the new company thus not loosing any time. Check all your options before you decide.

No Title

If it is inevitable, then you just try to take a letter from your employer ( who sponsored your GC) that you are being laid off due to
financial constraints of the project. This is just a way of establishing that you have not left the company on your own but you were laid off. But one thing is certain. If you use your EAD you cannot use your H1 again. But why should you worry for the H1.