Filing I-485 after marriage

Amit1793

Registered Users (C)
I'm on a H1-B visa, and got married in November 2003. Before getting married, my I-140 was approved by the INS, and I didn't apply for the I-485.

After marriage, my wife got her H4 visa, and is now with me in the US. I would like to proceed for the GC for myself and my wife.

My questions are:

1) My wife doesn't have a SSN, and isn't eligible to get one as the state laws allow issual of driving licenses with SSN. Does she need to file for I-140 too? At what exact stage will she be eligible for a SSN?

2) I have my birth certificate from India, but it doesn't contain my name. Do I still need to get an affidivit? If so, does anyone have the text for the affidivit.

3) Does my wife also need to give a physical, and fill out the medical forms that are required while filing for I-485.

Thanks a lot,
Amit

Originally posted by Amit1793
I'm on a H1-B visa, and got married in November 2003. Before getting married, my I-140 was approved by the INS, and I didn't apply for the I-485.

After marriage, my wife got her H4 visa, and is now with me in the US. I would like to proceed for the GC for myself and my wife.

My questions are:

1) My wife doesn't have a SSN, and isn't eligible to get one as the state laws allow issual of driving licenses with SSN. Does she need to file for I-140 too? At what exact stage will she be eligible for a SSN?

2) I have my birth certificate from India, but it doesn't contain my name. Do I still need to get an affidivit? If so, does anyone have the text for the affidivit.

3) Does my wife also need to give a physical, and fill out the medical forms that are required while filing for I-485.

Thanks a lot,
Amit

After applying for I-1485 once she gets her EAD she will be able to get her SSN.

I-485 is separate application. She needs to do her medical and related forms.