Few questions on OCI process (SFO consulate)

Getting ready to send the US and Indian passports to SFO once they receive the document from Delhi.

Some detail level questions:
They ask you to send self-addressed Express Mail USPS envelope with stamp etc.

1. How do we send it? Did you folks buy a non-standard larger size envelope so that you can put the self-addressed Express envelope (which itself is usually large in size)?

2. How do you "self address"? Usually for Express mail, there is a address label - that has carbon copies. You fill that out, and post office folks will remove the carbon copies and give you one for your record when you mail things.
Do we need to fill that, and stick that to the 'self addressed envelope'? How does it work?

There are 2 forms of Express Mail envelopes. The soft foldable variety is very apt for this purpose. You can ask the post office clerk to give you express mail stamp for $16.25. It is like a regular stamp for that value. You stick that in the envelope from USPS in the space provided. You can also get a Label for express mail in the place where they stack stationery. Fill the sender name as the Consulate name and address and in the recepient write your name and address. You can then affix this in the envelope in the space provided itself as that has adhesive in it. You just need to peel and affix it. Then you put this in a large envelope. I usually send Fedex so its never been an issue. Also enclose your US and Indian passport, PIO cards if any and a cover letter as mentioned in the CGI SF website with the File #s. That should be it. Some people print postage online and its slightly cheaper ( by 50 cents I think).

You can ask the post office clerk to give you express mail stamp for $16.25. It is like a regular stamp for that value. You stick that in the envelope from USPS in the space provided.

Why do we need to affix a postage stamp now, since we would have already paid the $20 (?) additional fee at the time of submitting the application?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do we need to affix a postage stamp now, since we would have already paid the $20 (?) additional fee at the time of submitting the application?

Thanks.

This discussion is about SFO consulate which asks for self-addressed stamped Express Mail envelope. Unlike other consulates, they don't charge the $20 fee for return mailing.

This discussion is about SFO consulate which asks for self-addressed stamped Express Mail envelope. Unlike other consulates, they don't charge the $20 fee for return mailing.

Actually it's 16.50 now. Consulate had asked many people to send additional postage :) of 0.25

Thank you sv786! Appreciate the time you took to reply.

There are 2 forms of Express Mail envelopes. The soft foldable variety is very apt for this purpose. You can ask the post office clerk to give you express mail stamp for $16.25.

Minor correction for others who may read this: $16.50 these days I think. (PS: Never mind, I just saw you updated above :) )
http://www.cgisf.org/oc/Dispatch.html

It is like a regular stamp for that value. You stick that in the envelope from USPS in the space provided. You can also get a Label for express mail in the place where they stack stationery. Fill the sender name as the Consulate name and address and in the recepient write your name and address. You can then affix this in the envelope in the space provided itself as that has adhesive in it. You just need to peel and affix it. Then you put this in a large envelope. I usually send Fedex so its never been an issue.

Can you send Fedex instead of the USPS they ask for? (I mentioned USPS since their instr only said this, I guess we can choose the service we want?)
What is the advantage of Fedex over USPS? (since you say "its never been an issue")?

Also enclose your US and Indian passport, PIO cards if any and a cover letter as mentioned in the CGI SF website with the File #s. That should be it. Some people print postage online and its slightly cheaper ( by 50 cents I think).

Thank you so much again!

Thank you sv786! Appreciate the time you took to reply.

Minor correction for others who may read this: $16.50 these days I think. (PS: Never mind, I just saw you updated above :) )
http://www.cgisf.org/oc/Dispatch.html

Can you send Fedex instead of the USPS they ask for? (I mentioned USPS since their instr only said this, I guess we can choose the service we want?)
What is the advantage of Fedex over USPS? (since you say "its never been an issue")?

Thank you so much again!

CGISF clearly states not to use Fedex since the carrier does not pick up from their office. I mentioned fedex to send from my home to the consulate for the self addressed envelope and the passports. I enclosed a USPS express mail envelope self addressed and stamped. I would recommend this since USPS delivers on saturdays as well. You can also track it online. Please write down the number of your package that you see with the mailing label. In most cases, it comes back within a day.

Question:
There are two separate tracking links on the SFO Consulate:

1. http://www.cgisf.org/oc/granted_oci.html
If you wait for a few seconds, after clicking above link then it will list all the approved cases sorted by the File number.

2. http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
Here you enter your reg# and can check on your status,and it will show details for your case.

Is it sufficient that if your docs have reached SFO as per #2.
Does the #1 link take time (several days???) to update and show your file# even if the #2 link shows everything has been received in SFO?

Question:
There are two separate tracking links on the SFO Consulate:

1. http://www.cgisf.org/oc/granted_oci.html
If you wait for a few seconds, after clicking above link then it will list all the approved cases sorted by the File number.

2. http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
Here you enter your reg# and can check on your status,and it will show details for your case.

Is it sufficient that if your docs have reached SFO as per #2.
Does the #1 link take time (several days???) to update and show your file# even if the #2 link shows everything has been received in SFO?

Yes, based on 2 above, your docs are ready, and you can send your passport to them. You should see your file# appear in 1 above shortly, but you don't have to wait until then.

Yes, based on 2 above, your docs are ready, and you can send your passport to them. You should see your file# appear in 1 above shortly, but you don't have to wait until then.

#1 or #2 should be fine. Based on experience, #1 gets updated only once a week. #2 is more frequent (twice a week). I have usually seen #1 getting updated on Fridays or Mondays

Getting ready to send the US and Indian passports to SFO once they receive the document from Delhi.

Some detail level questions:
They ask you to send self-addressed Express Mail USPS envelope with stamp etc.

1. How do we send it? Did you folks buy a non-standard larger size envelope so that you can put the self-addressed Express envelope (which itself is usually large in size)?

2. How do you "self address"? Usually for Express mail, there is a address label - that has carbon copies. You fill that out, and post office folks will remove the carbon copies and give you one for your record when you mail things.
Do we need to fill that, and stick that to the 'self addressed envelope'? How does it work?

I sent a self addressed envelope at the time of my original application. Is this another second envelope we are supposed to send or will the one sent a while back be sufficient?

Thanks.

EDIT: Looks like this is clearly addressed here: http://www.cgisf.org/oc/Dispatch.html. Sorry for the redundant question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fill the sender name as the Consulate name and address and in the recepient write your name and address. You can then affix this in the envelope in the space provided itself as that has adhesive in it. You just need to peel and affix it. Then you put this in a large envelope.

I will send it this week.

Interestingly, the postal office clerk told me I can write the "From" and "To" both as my address! (in the self addressed envelope). He said that way - if something goes amiss, it will still reach me.

However, I think writing both From and To as the same address can get confusing, and I think the Indian consulate 'may' get confused as well?

So, perhaps I'll just simply do what you (sv786) suggested above.

I will send it this week.

However, I think writing both From and To as the same address can get confusing, and I think the Indian consulate 'may' get confused as well?

Having the same address for Sender and Recipient is standard (and safe) practice in many businesses in USA. USPS is familiar with this.

Let's hope the Indian Consulate does not get confused on seeing the same address in two places, but I would think that they know this by now. Then again, will they even pay attention to the 'From' address?

Hi
Any one know how may phtographs I need for the OCI to to file at SFO Consulate ? I read the the FAQ and other OCI highilghts etc at SFO website somedays back and I think I read 3 photographs is needed , but today I read the FAQ and it says 2 photographs need to be pasted on the "FORM A" ( that is 1 in orginal FORM A and 1 in Duplicatr FORM A) .

Thanks

Hi
Any one know how may phtographs I need for the OCI to to file at SFO Consulate ? I read the the FAQ and other OCI highilghts etc at SFO website somedays back and I think I read 3 photographs is needed , but today I read the FAQ and it says 2 photographs need to be pasted on the "FORM A" ( that is 1 in orginal FORM A and 1 in Duplicatr FORM A) .

Thanks

1 in Form A in the designated box affixed
1 in duplicate Form A i
1 pin along with the application
Total 3

OCI received. By the way - they sent back my 3rd photo (the loose one we drop in the envelope without attaching it). They scan that and then send it back?

Thanks to all those helped me in this. Special thanks to akgarg and sv786 :)
I'll probably lurk around and answer what I can to other forummers.

Process in SFO takes about 5-7 weeks end to end.