FBI NNCP's Reply (Via First Lady's Help)

futureuscitizen

Registered Users (C)
I send a letter to First Lady's office on April first week about my pending name check status and asked for help to expedite it. Her office forwarded it to FBI and close to this week I received a letter revealing the USCIS Name check request date (well its been almost 2 years) and a person (David) signed the letter for Michael A Cannon.

The 3rd para was explaining the excuse of "millions of name check requests a year". So they have to accurately check every applications for national security purposes...bla bla bla. Last sentence " While an exact date for completion of this review cannot be given, you may be assured that the results will be made available to the immigration authorities as quickly as possible."

How many of you received a similar letter like this??????

Well this looks like another "no hope" letter. But if anyone had succeeded in getting things done after this letter from Mr. Cannon, please post reply.

Ranking in Help
1)First lady's office: Received reply from FBI NNCP (Name check)
2)Vice presidents office:Received reply from Justice Dept NOT from USCIS
3)USCIS CS: Recieved service request reply from USCIS
4)Ombudsman: Toothless tiger - no action from USCIS
5)congressman: No action from USCIS / but fast reply from the office
6)Senator: No action from USCIS / No reply Senators office (Hillary Clinton)

My time line

June 2005 : N400 PD
Dec 2005: finger print
Feb 2006: Interview - No decision- no reason
June 2006: found out that stuck in BG/Name Check is still pending
May 2007: First Lady/FBI NNCP: Name Check is still pending

I had the same letter last week from FBI and I believe it is signed by the same person for Mr. Cannon.
Nothing tangeble is happening for me either. Just letters stating name check is pending.
Hang in there.

I was thinking about writing to First lady myself but doesn't seem like it is going to help. I think the only thing that is going to help is WOM with a favorable judge.

futureuscitizen,

I received same letter from FBI following to my letter to FIrst Lady,
and my name check has been cleared in a month or so after receiving
this letter. I know at least two members of these forums whos name
checks have also been cleared in a month or two after receiving
such a letter. But there was also a forum member who is still
waiting for a name check clearance while he received such letter
few months ago.
thats great to know. thanks

atanase,
Based on your time line, we can see that you started sending letters to first lady and elected officials only 6 months after your priority date. I am in a desperate situation now - applied for N400 last December, have been waiting for interview letter for 6 months already, and no good news yet. I went to info pass last month and was told that my name check was pending. I think of writing letter to first lady like you did. Is it a bit early? Do you think it is a concern if they see my case is only pending for 6 months in total. I couldn't afford the long wait since I need the citizenship ASAP to sponsor my spouse, who is still a foreign student. your advice would be highly appreciated.

My time line
Dec 2006 : N400 PD
Jan 2007 :Finger Print
May 2007: Info pass namecheck is still pending
Interview letter:???
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My time line

futureuscitizen,

I received same letter from FBI following to my letter to FIrst Lady,
and my name check has been cleared in a month or so after receiving
this letter. I know at least two members of these forums whos name
checks have also been cleared in a month or two after receiving
such a letter. But there was also a forum member who is still
waiting for a name check clearance while he received such letter
few months ago.
Interview letter: april-2006
Interview: june-2006 (name check is pending)
Letters to elected officials: aug-2006 to january-2007
Oath March-2007:
(it took 400 days from applying to citizenship)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why in the world did you not sue USCIS after 120 days of interview? Pleading to first lady is for those who have not had an interview and thus are unable to benefit from the 120 day after interview rule. Sometimes you need to do something to achieve something. Writing to officials is good, but will not guarentee a result.

Anyway good luck.
My time line

I agree with you, but one can not rely soley on only one option. Sueing USCIS as per the law of the land (120 day rule) should be a parallel plan. A year or more ago, appeals to the first lady were effective. Annecdotal reporting on this forum indicates it is less effective now. Probably a case of a lame duck first lady:)

I also needed citizenship ASAP (to sponsor my wife).
I dont think that there is anything wrong or inefficient
to sent a letter to First Lady and ask for help earlier than later
if one knows that the reason of delay is the name check.

Why in the world did you not sue USCIS after 120 days of interview? Pleading to first lady is for those who have not had an interview and thus are unable to benefit from the 120 day after interview rule. Sometimes you need to do something to achieve something. Writing to officials is good, but will not guarentee a result.

Anyway good luck.

There was a little bit confusion in the beginning with my address. so going to the court makes things complicated and they will have more excuse to dismiss my case. Suing after 120 days will not guarantee anything.

I don't think pleading to the First lady is only for people who didn't get any interview letter. Her office took an action on my case because they understood that my case is way out of the time period.

Good thing that I received a reply from NNCP office. You won't even get a reply from them through normal contact these days.

Well the new bill or reform stuff made a good point of finishing off the case that is pending for more than 2 years. I will be eligible for that in like a month.

I had a great deal of patience this far, so waiting for 2 more months or so will not be a big issue for me.

Thanks for all the inputs/info.

Atanase,
Thanks for the response. I already sent a FOIA letter a few weeks ago by mail (I notarized the letter). When would I expect it to come back? Shall I wait for the letter for come back so I can enclose it with the letter to First Lady? Now it is 6 month past my PD, but my PD is still 2 month before the local office processing time. Any comment on this? Also in the letter what would be the convincing reasons to request speed up the Name check based on my situation? Is it 1) to sponsor my F-1 wife 2) she has to pay high tuition fee because of non-immigration status 3) she couldn't work because of non-immigration status, so we have financial hard ship since I have two children both under 18 months. Some thing like that? I would appreciate it if you could send me a private message for more details since I tried to send you one but you didn't allow it in your setting. Thanks again.

I also needed citizenship ASAP (to sponsor my wife).
I dont think that there is anything wrong or inefficient
to sent a letter to First Lady and ask for help earlier than later
if one knows that the reason of delay is the name check.

futureuscitizen,
Where did you see the following? could you post a link?

Well the new bill or reform stuff made a good point of finishing off the case that is pending for more than 2 years. I will be eligible for that in like a month.

There was a little bit confusion in the beginning with my address. so going to the court makes things complicated and they will have more excuse to dismiss my case. Suing after 120 days will not guarantee anything.

I don't think pleading to the First lady is only for people who didn't get any interview letter. Her office took an action on my case because they understood that my case is way out of the time period.

Good thing that I received a reply from NNCP office. You won't even get a reply from them through normal contact these days.

I had a great deal of patience this far, so waiting for 2 more months or so will not be a big issue for me.

Thanks for all the inputs/info.

FOIA has nothing to do with name check. FBI has been repeatedly emphasizing this point. I am quoting something directly from the FBI web site below. You can also read the article directly from the link below. In summary a FOIPA will only return something if you have been investigated by FBI in the past or there is an active file - I guess these people will never apply for citizenship anyway:)

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/nationalnamecheck.htm

"Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FOIPA) vs. Name Check: Freedom of Information and Privacy Acts (FOIPA) requests are sometimes confused with name check requests. FOIPA provides copies of FBI files relevant to a specific FOIPA request. For FOIPA, the FBI search uses the name or information as provided in the FOIPA request. A FOIPA search determines whether there is an investigative file associated with an individual—a “main file” search. For a name check, “main files” and “reference files” are both checked, in addition to searching a name in a multitude of combinations."

Atanase,
Thanks for the response. I already sent a FOIA letter a few weeks ago by mail (I notarized the letter). When would I expect it to come back? Shall I wait for the letter for come back so I can enclose it with the letter to First Lady? ......

N400 application - check name is pending since two years.

Hello All,

I am wondering if you can advice on my case.
My timelines:
1) July 2006: N400 application.
2) Sep 2006 : finger print.
3) March 2007: Went for interview. However, when the officer called me for the interview, I went into his office and he said that my file is not ready and he can't conduct an interview. He advised me to go back home and wait for another notice from USCIS.
4) My attorney sent an inquiry after 120 days from that day and the response was that my name check is pending.

My question is: Would "The first lady pleading" benefit me at this moment? If so, to what address I need to send the letter. Does any one have a template or skeleton to the letter? I never sent out a formal letter to that level and I am looking to formulate an effective formal letter.
Your help on this matter is highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hello All,

I am wondering if you can advice on my case.
My timelines:
1) July 2006: N400 application.
2) Sep 2006 : finger print.
3) March 2007: Went for interview. However, when the officer called me for the interview, I went into his office and he said that my file is not ready and he can't conduct an interview. He advised me to go back home and wait for another notice from USCIS.
4) My attorney sent an inquiry after 120 days from that day and the response was that my name check is pending.

My question is: Would "The first lady pleading" benefit me at this moment? If so, to what address I need to send the letter. Does any one have a template or skeleton to the letter? I never sent out a formal letter to that level and I am looking to formulate an effective formal letter.
Your help on this matter is highly appreciated.
Thanks.

You had your interview in 07? I would file a lawsuit now under 1447(b). You could have done this back in July 07.

You had your interview in 07? I would file a lawsuit now under 1447(b). You could have done this back in July 07.

He was NOT interviewed. The interview was cancelled on the day of the interview at the USCIS office. Typical USCIS efficiency. So he can not sue under the 120 days rule, but he can file a WOM. A letter to the First LAdy, President or members of congress is not necessary. However, it will help as you can include it is your stack of evidence when filing the lawsuit. Writing letters to the persons mentioned above will not get you name check done. It might let you know if you are still stuck in the name check and letters (and responses) will serve as evidence in the lawsuit.

Goodevening all. Can someone help me out here. My interview is on oct first and i would like to know if the police certificate they are asking for is certificate of non-conviction/certificate of good conduct or certificate of residence. I would appreciate a quick response

I am not sure but I think they are asking about convictions, but hey, if there is more than one - get it. It is better to make only one trip to the USCIS office.

I had the same letter last week from FBI and I believe it is signed by the same person for Mr. Cannon.
Nothing tangeble is happening for me either. Just letters stating name check is pending.
Hang in there.

I had written to the FL and after her letter, I received the letter from FBI that my NC is done.