call 1-949-831-8427
have receipt number handy this is number printed on I-485 notice of action
or have A number which is printed on fp notice
dial number
if busy - redail
untill u get thru
and press 0 to talk to iio

they work from monday to friday 9-4

rsrgc, These faq threads are a great idea. Folks keep joining the board...

all the time. They will naturally have the same questions that old-timers had several months ago. This will give them a one-point source of info on a particular question.
Folks who have successfully called IIO, Can you please post your methods to get through. Is there a specific timeperiod that may ensure quicker connection? Any other techniques?.
rsrgc, the value of your service to the board is immeasurable quite like PCee\'s.

BTW, the 3 most important pieces of info an IIO can give for most folks is whether a) your case is adjudication-ready, b) whether it has been assigned and c) the date of assignment. Therefore, If you have done your FP\'s over a month or more ago you may want to ask the following questions. If your RD is SEP 01 and later you may want to wait for a while before you call an IIO. But, you decide.
1) Has my case acquired all the necessary background check reports?
If answer is yes, ask the next question. If no, you may want to wait for 2 weeks or so and call again and ask the same questions.
2) So, is my case ready for adjudication to an officer?
Answer may just be yes, in that case ask Q3. If answer is yes and it is already assigned, ask Q4.
3) Has my case been assigned yet?
If answer is just yes, ask Q4. If answer is yes and they give a date, you have all the info you can get from them. You wait for approval
4) Can you tell me when it was assigned?
Answer to that will tell you everything you want to know. After that you just have to wait for 3 weeks or so for the decision.

If at any point of time they tell you that there was an RFE generated, try asking them if they know the reason. Usually they would not but no harm in trying.

Special cases where FP was done but INS did not receive the reports or you did not even receive the FP notice would have to be tackled on a case-per-case basis. The trick is to ask specific questions which will generate an unambiguous answer. Asking general questions will prompt them to quote the JIT. We already know that. Asking them when your case will be assigned or approved is also of no use for the simple reason that they would not know.

No Title

Another idea is to post all FAQ\'s under one thread called FAQ, and
we can suggest all newcomers to go through the FAQ thread before posting a question.

No Title

I am not sure if the IIO even answer the phone lines all the time.
I called tody at 1:50pm and was able to get thru in 10 minutes.
After she took the receipt #, 01-265-XXX, RD=july=05=01,she
said they were processing the data 01/01/01. This is the worst
I have heard of all the messages that I have see posted here.
the AVM still FP received and normal process... 12/29/01

Anyone else had a similar experience.

faq idea

faq\'s if they are merged into one thread will lose value

the idea is that this is a resource for regular posters who can do a search on the phrase "****faq"
This will find resource and could be used as I have to answer specific questions

poster "A" asks question how to contact IIO

poster "B" searcher for faq post and copies shortcut and
posts message with link asking reader to read all messages.

This will belp answer regular questions in a simple fast manner.

Strangely enough

I tried calling the IIO for the first time today. After an hour of dialing I got the ring. But nobody picked up. The call was disconnected after many rings.

Tried again for another 10 minutes. Got the ring again. Same thing happened.

In between I was getting the usual busy tone.

I guess I am missing something. I dialed the usual 9498318427 number. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Information to include while faxing inquiry

If you write, please provide the following in your letter:

- Your current name and address, and, if different, your name as it appears on your application;
- Any A-number, which is an 8 or 9 digit number following the letter "A", assigned to you or to your application
- Your date of birth;
- The date and place where your application was filed;
- Any receipt number from any receipt notice issued by INS for your application;
- A copy of the most recent notice sent to you by INS on your case, if you have received one; and
- The date and office where you were fingerprinted and where you were interviewed, if this has been done.

Sign your request, or, if you are preparing the request for the applicant, have him or her sign the request. Please mark your envelope: ATTN: Status Inquiry
Hope this helps a little !!!