False Claim to Citizenship

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
From this link ( http://www.immigrationlinks.com/news/news938.htm ),
it seems to me that only false claim under jurisdiction of USA laws
is a crime so far as the USA is concerned. Recently, a dissdisnt
who is a USA PR entered his home country by using another person\'s US passport because the government of his hoem country refused to
extend his own passport and refused to let him return. After he entered
the country he was arrseted there. If he managed to come back to the
USA, would he be arrested in the USA for violation of any USA law?

Probably in serious trouble

I would assume so. If he used the identity of someone else, he\'s not gonna get pat on his back from the officers here should they find out about it.

definitely two people in serious trouble!

BOTH the person using the US citizen\'s passport and the US citizen who "loaned" him the passport are subject to criminal penalities for the situation. I presume the arresting country confiscated the US Passport and contacted the US Embassy to determine if it was lost, stolen, or modified.

Once the State Department is contacted, the investigation will proceed for both parties.

Guess who will probably not ever receive a visa???

I don\'t know about that

He still used a US passport through. To the INS, anything that could screw an alien up is welcomed with open arms.

No Title

What about the following sections regarding misuse of USA
passport? It says it is a crime to misuse a USA passport.
Does it cover the misuse outside the USA? i.e. USA Jurisdiction extends to its passport even outside territories?

The news is in major media and even that Nobel Peace Peace Prize
Winner Archbishop TuTu is asking for mercy on his behalf.

But I don\'t believe the guy will be in trouble with
the USA laws even if the jurisdiction cover it. The reason
could be political or the difficult to collect evidence
(you need to bring the other country\'s border control officers
to the USA court as witness, which is too much burdern)

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/1544.html

18 USC 1544

Whoever willfully and knowingly uses, or attempts to use, any passport issued or designed for the use of another; or
Whoever willfully and knowingly uses or attempts to use any passport in violation of the conditions or restrictions therein contained, or of the rules prescribed pursuant to the laws regulating the issuance of passports; or
Whoever willfully and knowingly furnishes, disposes of, or delivers a passport to any person, for use by another than the person for whose use it was originally issued and designed -
Shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 25 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate an act of international terrorism (as defined in section 2331 of this title)), 20 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate a drug trafficking crime (as defined in section 929(a) of this title)), 10 years (in the case of the first or second such offense, if the offense was not committed to facility [1] such an act of international terrorism or a drug trafficking crime), or 15 years (in the case of any other offense), or both.

No Title

You don\'t know politics. Disssidents from that country
are above the laws of the USA for political reasons. A few years
ago another guy help his fellow dissidents to use false docuemnts
to apply to the INS for benefits and was arrested but nothing happen
later (maybe onoly some oral warning from the judge).

The dissdents from a froeign country that has odds
with the USA have automatica immunity from procesution
from the USA even they violate the USA laws as long as
their goal is to oppose their home countries. THis is politics.

No Title

I looked at my daughter\'s American passport. It says it is the property of the USA and says anyone else using commit a felony
by 18 USC 1544 (which I gave the link and quoted in my previous
post). Jurisdiction must extend to properties abroad, otherwise
anyone outside the USA can forge greenbacks as he wishes